Clear all

Need Critique Folks!!

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

So I posted Ghost Riders in The Sky a couple weeks ago, here is my attempt at Pancho and Lefty by Townes Van Zandt (only my 3rd song sung so far).As I said before the last time I sang out loud was 1954. Please give a listen and give me some advice! My bandmates tell me it is brutal done in a monotone and that I have no clue as to what the melody line is supposed to be. I need some honest crticism from you all. I have recently started taking voice lessons (OK 2 so far) Is there hope? or am I tone deaf? BTW the guitar work was not done by me but by one of my band buddies! The Vocals were overdubbed to give the duet effect in certain sections.
Robbie

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=975776

(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I wouldn't say your hopeless but you've got a long way to go. There is nothing wrong with the quality of your voice in my opinion. The main thing I see is that you lack confidence. The timidity oozes from your voice. And that monotone thing, ya there's some of that in there as well. Keep on practicing and taking lessons, don't give up. There's nothing going on in your voice that can't be overcome. And thanks for using soundclick, it's a lot easier on those of us that are stuck with dialup.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

Your bandmates exaggerate a bit. You do have some pitch problems, but you're not tone deaf. You're not singing in a monotone, just not quite hitting the notes. What Tim describes as timidity, I would say is a lack of projection. It seems like all your sound is coming from your throat with no support. Breathe deeply, use your diaphragm. This will also help with the pitch. Your voice is fine. You just need to learn how to use it. Since you're already taking voice lessons, you're on your way.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanx very much folks. It helps to get some perspective from people not quite so close to the situation, and my wife doesn't count here. I realise that confidence is a major issue as is hitting notes you can hear in your head but can't duplicate for the present time. I kind of wonder how hard it is to learn at my age. It seems like even people I used to love to hear like Rogers Waters etc. have a tough time now sounding great. But practice is helping as it is much better now than even a month ago. Breathing and projection was part of last weeks lesson along with mouth shape etc. Anybody else have any input?
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I kind of wonder how hard it is to learn at my age.

I used to say I couldn't carry a tune in a wash tub. I didn't start singing and playing guitar until I was 50. Now at 56 I play three stringed instruments and sing very well thank you! I'm not going to let my age stop me from doing anything I want to do, you shouldn't either. Age doesn't matter.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote