Clear all

New Singer sounds like Dylan/Lennon

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@digitalartist)
Topic starter  

Hello,
I am a first time poster. At the ripe old age of 48 I want to start getting serious with singing, at least for myself.
I tend to have a Lennon/Dylan type sound. I never took any singing lessons and don't know if I am any good.
I have started singing into a mic and amp along with my keyboard. I can't help but sound like a raspy Bob Dylan! Now Bob Dylan is my favorite, but I don't want to be stuck in his style.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to train my voice?

Here is my first public attempt at singing on youtube. I sound more like Lennon. I want to try to find my own voice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kAWUDX9bNg
Any suggestions would be very appreciated.
Thank you.

(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

Well, you do certainly sound like Lennon! I liked your voice quite a bit.

What's with the outift??? :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i knew he faked his death.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Really good voice.
You should enjoy it . . . and I see that you are.
Yes, you do sound like John Lennon . . . you look like Sonny Bono . . . and you dressed like Bob Dylan.

Very cool.

Good job. Say hi to Spidey for me . . . and keep singin'

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

at first listen your voice sounded affected...much like your decorations.
as it went on I did hear a quality in Your voice. to be honest, lose the affectation; you can sing.
hey, I am new at singing. I am older like you and I can sound like Dylan easy (in fact I live in his old turf).
but I try not to Dylanize my raspy voice. I did not learn of my rasp until I began to sing correctly, you know, diaphragm stomach breathing. I concentrate now on singing the song's words and using the voice I have and try to play it.
your guitar playing is nice. accurate with that loose feel. cool.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@digitalartist)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Curious as to what the term "affected" mean when talking about singing?

Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

"Affectation" usually means (at least in discussions of singing) to take on vocal mannerisms that are not usually part of your natural voice. It can be anything from getting a gutteral growl when going for a low note to mimicing another singer's nuances or phrasing (like when you go to a Joan Baez concert and she sings one verse in a song like Bob Dylan).

Everyone tends to have some affectations but beginners who are still learning to be confident and comfortable with what their voices can (currently) give them tend to rely a bit more on mimicry and can lose out on the unique beauty of their own voices.

This isn't by any means the definitive definition, but I hope it helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@digitalartist)
Topic starter  

"Affectation" usually means (at least in discussions of singing) to take on vocal mannerisms that are not usually part of your natural voice. It can be anything from getting a gutteral growl when going for a low note to mimicing another singer's nuances or phrasing (like when you go to a Joan Baez concert and she sings one verse in a song like Bob Dylan).

Everyone tends to have some affectations but beginners who are still learning to be confident and comfortable with what their voices can (currently) give them tend to rely a bit more on mimicry and can lose out on the unique beauty of their own voices.

Peace

That helps a lot! Thank you! :D

ReplyQuote
(@calmerthanyouare)

I thought you had a strong tone. If you've just started singing then I'd imagine you're better than a large majority of beginner singers. I listened to the video twice and the first time I heard what I thought were a few errors in pitch at the end of your lines but the second time I hardly heard them. Could have been my ear playing tricks on me.

I rated it 5 stars.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Peace

precisely. and I did not mean to use the word as a slam. merely an observation and heads up.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@digitalartist)
Topic starter  

Thanks Dogbite. And I didn't take it as a slam. :D Just wanted to make sure what the term affected meant. :)

Calmerthanyou, I love your handle! :lol: Thanks for the feedback on my singing. :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@paperdice)

yeah your voice is pretty good

ReplyQuote