Clear all

not exactly a good voice...

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@jbswish57)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So I can sing to the tune and stuff but I don't have what you would call 'a good voice'... Do you guys have any suggestions on how to improve my voice or should I just stick to not singing?

Thanks, Jamie

(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Every time I see a post like yours I think of three people, Rod Stewart, Willie Nelson and Bob Dylan. If you can hear a tune in your head you can learn to sing. All you need is a little instruction and lots of practice. Here's a good place to start.

http://www.vocalist.org.uk/

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

If you haven't done much singing, then the best place to start is by doing just that. Sing to build up the muscles in your throat and diaphragm. Learn the correct breathing technique. You'll hear and feel your voice getting stronger. Don't be afraid to sing out loud and proud!

There are lots of great "singers" who really don't have what is considered to be a "good" voice. But what they do with their voice is what makes them great! Find the songs that fit your voice (or better yet, write them yourself) and, most importantly, sing it like you mean it and have fun while you're doing it! Your audience will respond in kind!

IMHO

:D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

Every time I see a post like yours I think of three people, Rod Stewart, Willie Nelson and Bob Dylan.

Man.... remember that Sesame Street tune "One of these things is NOT like the others, one of these things just DOESN'T belong..."

Tim ... how can you include Rod Stewart with Willie and Bob Dylan?

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Every time I see a post like yours I think of three people, Rod Stewart, Willie Nelson and Bob Dylan.

Man.... remember that Sesame Street tune "One of these things is NOT like the others, one of these things just DOESN'T belong..."

Tim ... how can you include Rod Stewart with Willie and Bob Dylan?

As far as song writing talent he's not in the same league. But as far as doing the most with a voice that's not all that good I'd say he is. None of these guys would win American Idol. Also I guess it's just an expression of my varied musical interests. Plus my wife loves Rod so I hear a lot of him.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

"Man.... remember that Sesame Street tune "One of these things is NOT like the others, one of these things just DOESN'T belong..."" - too funny...did I just date myself since I can remember that? :shock:

I can listen to Rod...but can't deal with Willie and Bob; I think its the nasal stuff. Of course, with my sinus deals, I'm sure I'd sound just as bad lol! There are others where I think, man this is a great band, if they could just get another singer... :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I've always liked Stewart's voice. And he plays guitar (at least he did early on) so that's pretty cool.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@quicksand)
Eminent Member

Yeah man practice helps alot. A while ago i started to sing a lot, exspecially in the car on the way to places. Put effort into it and you will see the improvement.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Rod Stewart made some GREAT records when he first hit the charts - Maggie May, You Wear It Well, Every Picture Tells A Story, Mandolin Wind, Gasoline Alley and the very underrated farewell - he could carry a tune, but he kind of moved away from that sound....

I used to have an album called "Hard-up Heroes" - it was put together by a couple of writers at the New Musical Express, featured early tracks by artists who later became famous - Bowie's "London Boys," Cocker's "I'll Cry Instead" - his first single, a Beatles cover, legend has it six copies were sold - he did a little better with his next Beatles cover - and bands who never quite made it - The Artwoods (Art {Arthur} Wood being Ronnie's brother,) The Birds....on this album, there was a 1965 recording of Rod (he was a mod back then!) doing a cover of "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl" - his voice didn't have that distinctive huskiness, but the phrasing was exactly the same as on Maggie May, 6 years later....

Lot of singers out there who can't sing - I saw Dylan in Ft Worth, July 4 2005 - his voice was AWFUL on some songs, the best he managed was barely passable - but I still enjoyed his performance. Willie Nelson was there, too - he may be a bit nasal, but so what? The man writes great songs....

Tom Waits and Johnny Cash are often mentioned as not-very-good singers - but you know what? It doesn't matter - they put their heart and soul into their music, and that sincerity carries to their audience....

Music's not all about technical perfection - it's nice to have it, but if you haven't - well, just sing your heart out. If you get a buzz out of singing, your audience will share that buzz with you. All you can do is give it your best shot..... and people love a tryer!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

Yeah...the key concept is sincerity...if you feel what you're singing you will start just fine...anyway maybe you want to reach higher notes or give more colour to your voice..then sining lessons is what I would advice, because you will have to exercise your diafragm in order to control the air required to sing properly (as a pro at least).

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Another piece of advice I'd give - from my own experience - is work with the voice you've got. It's all very well singing along with the music you love on CD or the radio, but don't strain your voice trying to make it into something else. I only ever wanted to sound like Paul Rodgers or Joe Cocker - it's never going to happen. So, I'm working on my own voice.....

Now, I never really liked my own voice - too thin, too reedy, not rock'n'roll enough. I never, ever thought I'd see the day when someone LIKED my singing....but I posted a song tonight on hear here, and I'm gobsmacked at the response...people actually like MY voice?

But I have to admit, I've worked on it, mainly because I've had a lot of encouragement here..."hey your voice isn't that bad...." and since I quit my 20(ish!) a day 30-year smoking addiction, two months ago, people have noticed a difference in my voice....stronger, more tone, not gasping for breath half-way through a line.....

I do tend to sing a lot more around the house - I've got more energy, got to expend it somehow - and I tend to write a song now for the voice rather than the guitar... ie I'll do it in D, even though it means using Bm instead of doing it in C and the easy Am.....so I guess that means I'm singing a semitone higher?

And the Marilyn (The Mrs) doesn't complain about my singing these days - that's a plus.......

So what's my point? I suppose I'm trying to say, take what you've got and work on it - it might never be great, but hey, you CAN make it better.....

And good luck......!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote