ok.. so pointers on my singing?

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@hanbbae)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kRQwp1I7Io
there is a lot of mistakes.. umm (first time singing and playing at the same time.. thankfully i heard this song a couple of times so i managed to push through it.. but it sucks.. everything is too fast.. and blah blah )
ive been playing guitar for about a year.. self taught.. i need vocal help. I want to become a better singer

(@kenneth-v)
Eminent Member

I don't think it sounds that awful for the first time! :)

I'm not a good singer either, but i know a few things that could help:

First of all, the more you sing, the stronger and more solid your voice will be, so practice practice practice!
You should also consider this:

it'll help more if you'd only sing (no guitar) and record that to see how well your voice is doing, a few times in the vid, it's hard to hear you sing cause your guitar oversounds your voice (which is pretty normal without a mic actually :P )

So if you want to only train your voice: no guitar
There's alot of exercices some others will point you at, but i'm not an expert (read: i probably suck way more at singing than you do :D )
And the most important thing: motivation: don't think you'd be the best singer in the world, be realistic and don't start to hope for some major singing achievement soon! It'll need alot of practice (like playing the guitar) but it'll be worth it!

What i'll also suggest: go to live performances and watch the band play/sing! You'll learn more than you think!
+ why don't you put a band together yourself with some friends? All you need is a drummer + a bass guitarist and you and you've got the basics of a real band! You don't need to do live performances, but you can play together and it sure will make your playing/singing alot better in time!

Hope i could help :)

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that is why we
call it the present!

ReplyQuote
(@hanbbae)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

thanks for all the advice :D
just wondering. can you listen to this one
http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i54/hanbbae/?action=view&current=scarshigher.flv
how should i be singing the song.. im so confused.. because the one i just tried today is higher? i dont know anything about soprano and stuff

ReplyQuote
(@kenneth-v)
Eminent Member

Well, the second one is way different to the first one, that's for sure... :)

Like i said, practice is the key obviously, however looking at the second vid, there are some pointers to give you:

1. Don't force your voice: yes, you want to sing higher, but this is no good when you start trying to sing over you limits!
--> evaluate your voice honestly and take it step by step to the next lvl! :P

2. Perhaps more of a life saving matter :D : keep on breathing 8)
That sounds pretty obvious again, but look again at the first part of you second vid: you're forcing your voice and the direct cause is that you don't breathe enough anymore...

What i should do now:

1. Practice some basic exercices every day for about 15-30 min.
2. If you want to sing a particular song: listen to it over and over and over again!
Notice when the singer breathes, which intonations he's using, etc. etc.
3. When you want to put it together with your guitar: practice the guitar and singing seperately first and when you think you're ready, practice it together!

Hope i could help again

--> how should i be singing the song.. im so confused.. because the one i just tried today is higher? i dont know anything about soprano and stuff

Soprano things and sort of are not that important for your style of music imo, just lay your soul and your feelings into the music, don't matter if it's a little bit different than the original! :)

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that is why we
call it the present!

ReplyQuote
(@hanbbae)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

ok.. thank you for the advice :D
im not sure if i can do the number 2 and 3.. ,haha.. i get pretty impatient especially because i usually learn the guitar part pretty fast.. haha

ReplyQuote
(@hanbbae)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

well.. here is a cover of the offsprings.. the kids arent alright
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksWLIMdjF0g
i did a better job of memorizing the lyrics.. but.. i dont think anything else has improved much
its not exactly the easiest song to sing .. lol. so my fault on that part

ReplyQuote
(@nathan080)
Estimable Member

IMO your trying too much too fast, you seem to be trying to sing AND trying to play the guitar parts without properly knowing either. Try some easier songs, or better yet just try recording without your guitar.

I would start off just with some breathing exercises, singing involves a different breathing process than what you are usually used to, do some scales and read up on different registers in your voice. Try to treat learning to sing as you would learning any other instrument; you didn't expect to be able to play any songs the first day you picked up the guitar right?

Look into some lessons of some sort or some literature or something :)

Hope that helps, but keep on singing :)

FYI

From Your Influence...
http://www.overplay.com/BandProfile.aspx?BandId=e78b497f-4f31-4182-8659-e8b6fa91d582

http://www.youtube.com/user/FromYourInfluence

ReplyQuote
(@lalasingergirl)

i think you are doing well. i did the opposite of you, i always was a singer and then i learned guitar and tried to play and sing - and it didnt work!! i think most people end up only focusing on the thing they know the most and the other they just kinda "get by"...so i would say you should definitely JUST work on your singing alone, so that you start to realize how you want to sing a song first, and practice that, and then add the guitar and make sure you continue to think about your singing. it would prob be best to do a song you know by heart and muscle momeory on the guitar, so you dont have to think about it at all and can focus on your voice. congrats on learning so fast and enjoy it! i still cant do both at once but i just gave up :(

ReplyQuote
(@hanbbae)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok.. thanks guys.. and yes i am trying to do vocal exercises.. there just seems to be so much online that i havent decided which one to do :/ i will keep on practicing

ReplyQuote
(@wengaff)
Eminent Member

I have think it sounds that awful for the first time....

I think the second is way different to the first one, that's very sure.... and you must to practice yourself over the time like
get 20-30 minutes for exercise, accept some suggestion who giving you .... Gook Luck to you....

ReplyQuote