Playing the guitar and singing at the same time

28 Posts
26 Users
0 Likes
17.2 K Views
(@picture-perfect)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hi, im having trouble playing the guitar and singing at the same time, i can't do it, is there anything you could suggest to help or is it a case of practice makes perfect?

Thanks

(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Check out the same old blues lesson from Littlebrother. It ties each word to a place in the song.

http://www.acousticplayermagazine.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4103

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

You need to know the lyric and music to the point they are second nature. You should be able to play and sing them individually without thinking about it. Then you can put them together. You guessed it practice.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@reynold)
Estimable Member

nothing but practice.....just practice everyday for a week, and you will over come it....its actually not a problem :o

" Take what you can from your dreams and make them real as anything " - Dave Matthews.

ReplyQuote
 edub
(@edub)
Eminent Member

it took me a while as well, just as everyone stated, find a song that you have down cold singing and playing and keep at it.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Hey Edub, I just noticed that you're from Rio Vista. I'm in Weatherford. And there are several others from around the area here, too! Welcome to GN! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@redjohnson)

You need to know the lyric and music to the point they are second nature. You should be able to play and sing them individually without thinking about it. Then you can put them together. You guessed it practice.
he said it perfect, this was my downfall when i started playing, i couldnt wait to sing with guitar, what you need to do is listen to the song and know when the chord changes are during the singing and eventually you'll get it down

What I Play
The Red Johnson
The Red Thrashed up electric from the early 80's
The Martin Backpacker

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Good subject this , I can't do it either but then again

1 I can't sing to start with

2 I can't play to start with

So if your feeling like you can't do it and you think that when you do it ,you sound terrible then my advise is click on the following link , it's bound to make you feel alot better . It's my first ever attempt of recording .. Playing and singing ...Oops and breathing <---- Man that's the hard one for me as I bite my tongue when I play . So click the link and have a laugh as I never thought I sounded so bad <--- but I dooo....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=490569

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@jpinma)
Eminent Member

I am a newbie/beginner to this whole guitar experience. I must say I enjoy playing (if that is what I am doing now) and recently have tried to add a little singing or humming to the experience. What a nightmare! Trying to stay in rhythm and hit the chords changes and get the timing right with the words … wow…. I am totally out of my league at this point. What an eye opener as to the skill set that is needed to handle these multiple tasks.

I now truly have the most utmost regards for people who can perform this amazing feat of playing and singing at the same time.

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are mearly players, performers and portrayers, each another's audience, outside the guilded cage" - now was that Rush or Shakesphere?

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I now truly have the most utmost regards for people who can perform this amazing feat of playing and singing at the same time.

You'll do it too. Just keep practicing. I felt the same way you did 10 months back. Start slow.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@sapho)
Estimable Member

I recall Stevie Nicks saying she has to always hear the note first before she can sing it.
I can't sing without the guitar to lead me.
I like to hear an instrument leading me in the melody line.
It's led to my erratic tempo patterns but then again that's what my style is in a way.
I can't sing 'American Idol' style or just stand on stage and let it rip.
I need the beautiful sound of a stringed note to guide my voice.
I think it's an addiction because I remember singing just fine before playing guitar.
In other words you'll fall into it with time.
Try playing melody lines rather than chords.
No one sings to chord patterns anyway.
It's the melody that you really sing to, right?
Just play one note - sing in tune with it.
Then another. then another....like that.
Find your voice within the strings - the notes.
Start small then build to bigger phrases then work into the entire song.
atta boy,

Portamento - The ability to move from a wrong note to the right one without anyone noticing the original mistake.
Harmonics - The buzzing sound that string instruments make.
Impromptu - A carefully worked out composition.

ReplyQuote
(@jock-strummer)

Hi picture-perfect.....I have been playing for about 2 years and singing for about 18 months of that time.

I couldn't get it at first either and still I have trouble with particular songs where the rhythm of the guitar strumming is totally different to that of the melodic line in the song.

Personally the first song I could sing and play at the same time was 'Wish You Were Here' by Pink Floyd. It's quite slow, easy chords and an easy tune to sing. Pick a song you know really well and has easy chords with an easy rhythm of strumming and singing (no Tracy Chapman songs - they are HARD!!).

If you have a good innate sense of rhythm and a a good musical ear it helps. No substitute for practice though.......

........now where did I put that tab for 'Fast Car".........

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

Picture-Perfect, I have found what works for me is to play along with a recording of the song. I imagine the real singer singing along to my playing.

Then as I get comfortable I try to sing with the artist, as though they're leading me.

As I get more comfortable still I remove the recording from the picture entirely so it is just me on guitar, myself on vocals and occasionally I on harmonica. :D

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Go to the Singing section of guitarnoise and check out my article "If I only had another brain"

ReplyQuote
(@telemarker)
Trusted Member

Singing and playing at the same time clicked for me after I learned how to play drums (not well, mind you, just a simple rock beat). Getting to the point where I could split my attention enough to move all four limbs independently made the task of strumming and singing pale in comparison, and after that I could just magically do it.

Drum Patterns

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2