Notifications
Clear all

question from a bass singer

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@ryker24)
Topic starter  

not too long ago some friends of mine formed a band, and we've been praticing togather and writing togather for about 5 months now. we have done mostly intrumental pratice with very little or no singing. I've written almost all of our song since I've have the most extensive musical background, but we have problem, no singer. We dont want to go out and find another singer to escape from complications. I've been elected at the singer since I'm the only one that has any singing background. But the problem is that I've only sung in choral setting and I sang bass and if possible, second bass due to my abnormaly low voice. Most rock bands have maily tenors or baritones as singers so can I be a sucessful lead singer as an extreme bass? Also another problem is that I'm our bass player

(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

I don't see why a bass can't sing rock/pop, but you'll have to see how it fits into the kind of songs you've written. It's about style--figuring out a way to make it work. There are no rules, only challenges! 8)

I'm not sure what being a bass player means--I know it can be difficult to coordinate singing over bass lines, but look at McCartney, Tweedy, etc. It can be done, and done well!

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise, Ryker! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

I can't help with your singing problem .... I'm a soprano!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I agree with Jersey. It might actually be a good thing. I think people can appreciate someone who sings a song they recognize and yet does it differently, as long as its good.

Cant help you on the bass thing. My old bassist sings in his new band. I guess its just a matter of training the brain.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

yup, I'm another who thinks having a different sounding voice may well mzke you/your band stand out from the rest of the crowd and thus be a positive thing in the long run. you might have to rework the music somewhat to make the most of your voice, but you may well end up creating a new genre in doing so. :wink:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
 Trev
(@trev)
Eminent Member

My old roommate felt the same way about being a bass singer. However, I don't think it is something you should hold against yourself, although if you really wanted to I'm sure you could work on developing a stronger baritone voice. My roommate was a strong pretty low bass and he had never developed a stronger higher range, except for falsetto. He could sing the soprano parts. Anyways, you shouldn't feel that being a tenor or baritone is necessary, you can develop your own style. Leonard Cohen is an extremely successful musician and partway through his career he switch his style up and started singing bass. Even Underoath has some bass singing on their album, Define the Great Line, which turned out very well. Don't let being a bass hold you back from trying to sing higher, but also don't let it hold you back from singing bass in in your band.

ReplyQuote
(@wengaff)
Eminent Member

I don't think why a bass singer can't sing in the rock band. Just make song adjustment on the song you have written.

ReplyQuote
(@nooel)

I'm just gonna disagree with everyone. You're gonna have a hard time singing bass as a rock artist. It's too low.

That being said basses are guys who talk and sing as low as they possibly can. Not on purpose though, its like a bad golf swing. You have a register that u have yet to find.

Google "head voice," "mixed voice," "mix voice," "middle voice" and start reading/practicing.

ReplyQuote
(@wengaff)
Eminent Member

I totally agreed with you.

The singing bass need lots of practice, and furthermore, the bass singing style is very low in vocal range.

ReplyQuote