rasp advice please help

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@chaisewilson)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hello this is my first post so please be kind haha

any who as i have said im in a band that does alot of guns n roses so as you can imagine i need to use alot of rasp to pull off these songs.....for the most part i have no problem doing this but as the months go on with 11 songs a night 3 days a week i feel myself haveing to push harder and harder to hit these notes I fear im doing damage!!!

slowing down rehursals is not an option we are doing gigs soon........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLOJpImH2UY .....i was thinking about giving it up untill i started to watch videos like this where i witnesss axl rose not even struggaling at all to hit these notes....notice how relaxed his rasp is .. but for me i have to push extremely hard to get same results!!

then my old chior teacher told me that their are routines i can go through and certain things i can do eat and drink witch willl increase my rasp and range!! and make it easier

that is what i beg of you people any warm ups/ scales I can go through to help me out( mp3s would be fantastic)

also any liquid or combination of liquids i can drink before shows or inbetween songs!! ( i have permision to drink smaill portions of alchohol if it helps) ......some singers at battle of the bands told me that certain combinations would relax the rasp more.

any food to eat that would help??? Or ANY TIPS AND OR TRICKS ....I DO NOT WANT TO CANCEL THESE GIGIG I AM DESPERATE PLEASE HELP!!!! i will do about anything................( i cannont afford voice coach now so any help is greatly appreciated) :D :D :D

(@deerinheadlightt)

alcohol dries your voice out buddy.
just keep screaming.
who cares if you loose it as long as you keep screaming.

ReplyQuote
(@jimmybinder)
Trusted Member

the best thing you can possible drink between songs is good old fashioned water! It relaxes the vocals chords and keeps them moist. Whatever you do, don't push to hard to strain your voice, because you could do some permanent damage. If it doesn't come natural to go raspy, consider altering your style a tiny bit to suit your own voice, because no two voices are exactly alike, no matter how much you may want them to be. Trust me, I've also had to learn this the hard way!

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

then my old chior teacher told me that their are routines i can go through and certain things i can do eat and drink witch willl increase my rasp and range!! and make it easier

I agree totally with JimmyBinder. Water and practice. But out of curiousity, why didnt you ask your old choir teacher what those things were?

I dont blame you for wanting to sound like someone else, I used to ask my vocal teacher the same thing. But as she would say, you need to drink lots and lots of water, you need to practice, and you need to develop your own voice cause you will never sound like another singer.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Tepid water! Room temperature at the very least. Put your finger under your tongue - that's the temperature that's perfect, but close will do.

Cold water will constrict your vocal chords (think how your muscles tense up and take a while to loosen up again in a cold shower - you really don't want all the muscles controlling your voice doing that just when you need them). Likewise, a hot drink will relax all the muscles too much. Cold water is quite soothing when you're done singing though, if you're sure there's not going to be an encore or three.

If you want to go the whole hog you can gargle salt water before you start, but again, make sure it's tepid. (No personal experience on the salt-water though, just that I've heard it's good. In fact I normally need loosening up a little before I start, so I tend not to follow my own advice and sip tea :roll: )

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

How about club soda or seltzer instead of water? Personally, I perfer it, since I like the feeling of the bubbles on sore vocal cords.

ReplyQuote
(@chaisewilson)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thank you for the adivice the tea and salt water helped alot!!!

my chior teacher mrs. walter just knew that exercises did exist she did not know them.........after all she does hyms not rock anthems

again thank you for the advice i am currently still looking for a good warm up routine though

ReplyQuote
(@aussie-rocker)
Eminent Member

It sounds like you're trying to be like Axl Rose. However, you're not! His voice is unique.

Don't try to make your voice raspy either. It will be the end of your singing career.

As far as food and drink to stuff your voice up???? What a load of bollocks.

Drink water and sing with a relaxed throat. DO NOT constrict it.

You will be able to last many gigs if you accept my advice.

ReplyQuote