Notifications
Clear all

same ole story

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@raskolnikov)
Topic starter  

it's funny, despite singing in church all the time and feeling comfortable, as soon as i start trying to sing by myself with a guitar i just can't do it. i've always wanted to be able to write songs and sing them and feel comfortable or sing songs at all and feel comfortable. anyway heres me singing some andrew kenny songs...i of course had to wait for everyone to leave and the cat to go to sleep :lol: any advice you can give would be helpful

http://www.box.net/shared/t7sr14vr5c hometown fantasy

http://www.box.net/shared/gjdvsuvk5l secrets of the heart

Trev
(@trev)
Eminent Member

You're a little hard to hear in the recordings, but it doesn't sound like you should hide when it comes to singing, practise, play around with it, and with time I'm sure you'll learn and get better. Practise singing to songs when you can, you should be able to tell when you're on key, I would think. I find it fairly easy to tell. I'm not at all familiar with the songs you're singing by the way. My diagnosis is that you're a bass, though I'm not an expert, who knows, I guess you could be a baratone. But don't let that get in your way, basses can still have good range, and falcetto works miracles, lol. To me is sounds like you're on the right track, keep working on it!.

ReplyQuote
 tree
(@tree)
Trusted Member

The vocals are a bit hard to hear over the guitar at times, but what I can hear sounds pretty decent. There's some notes that are a bit off, but overall the songs are entertaining to listen too.
As for advice... (I'm not a very good singer, but I'll try giving some advice anyways :) )
Here's a few random tips that I've found work decently for me: Standing up while playing guitar (rather than sitting down bent over) seems to make singing a bit easier. Also, if you are one of those people that only sing when everyone else is out of the house (me and at least one other person on these forums included) try not to worry if someone hears you... the voice can sound/feel very different if you are trying to inhibit it by making it quieter. Lastly, recording yourself play guitar and sing and then listening back to it to find areas to practice works well.
As for other advice, I have a thread in the singing section here also and Dneck recommended the book/cd set "Vocal Technique: a guide to finding your real voice" (Dena Murray). I purchased it a few days ago from amazon.com and it really does seem very good.

Just out of interest-- have you tried playing those songs with a capo moved up an additional fret or two?

Anyways, nice start!

so many places that are hard to see
so many places that aren't
so many places we want to be
so many times we are not

ReplyQuote
(@raskolnikov)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies!

Trev
i didn't even think about these being obscure songs maybe i should have recorded something a bit better known eh. i like being a bass but it can sometimes get annoying when listening to some of my favorite singers with high voices...sigh.

tree
standing up and singing...that's one of those things that almost makes too much sense. i never have used a capo and for the most part have shyed away from them thinking my voice is too low to make the guitar higher but i had a friend who told me the same thing so i guess i should try it and see what happens. i'll have to check out that book- it would be nice to have somewhat of a guide.

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

yeah tree is right, your voice should be able to get a bit higher and, although it may be easy to sing that low its hard to project your voice and get much volume from it, you have to shift your voice from your gut to your chest/throat and put a lot of pressure on it, maybe just capo on the second fret and you might be able to project a lot better?

other than that it sounded good

ReplyQuote