Notifications
Clear all

Scream singing - The Used.

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@gingerly)
Topic starter  

Alright, I just have to say a few things and I dont mean to sound rude.

I have been to so many forums asking about this so please if you dont have a positive answer, or if you just dont know what you are talking about lol. Please dont post in here, Unless its positive feed back. Thanks

I am a singer for a band called Gingerly. Myspace.com/gingerly if you want to check us out. I am currently going to cover The Used for Battle of the Bands at our school because we HAVE to cover a band. But there is a catch.

I have been trying to scream sing like bert(Singer of The Used) for quite some time now.. At first all I would get was infections and colds in my throat from doing it. Not mentioning blood and losing my voice lol..

Now that I have practiced more there is a point when I Scream sing that it does not hurt, Then when pushed more it kills.
Scream singing is not talked a lot about or practice muched that I see on the internet. So if you can scream sing or come close, or if you are in my shoes please post.

My voice is kinda baritone/deep. But I can still hit high notes. Maybe increasing my range would help? I also practice Sirens and what not too..
But please if anyone has any info that is positive other than "Get a Vocal coach" or "You cant do it because you will kill your voice" Please post. I know if done correctly your voice will not go.

Thanks -Junior

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

since you're using a mic, it's not volume, but tone that you're after. you could probably sing at less than a harmful level if you made your voice sound like you're screaming. you can get that effect by singing from the back of the throat instead of just trying to scream your head off. it'll still hurt a bit, but maybe not as much.
volume comes from technique. the singer in my old band once nearly knocked me out just by singing into an amp that really wasn't that high, and it still sounded clean.

ReplyQuote
(@marshallscottw)
Estimable Member

Hey,
I agree with you, no one really does discuss scream 'singing' very much.
Most people shun it, think it's ...well what it is. 'a bunch of screaming'
But in my opinion screaming really adds emphasis and power to lyrics. Don't get me wrong, I would hate a band that ONLY screamed. Slipknot's Corey Taylor is the only person alive that can scream all through a song and it be a GOOD song. But anyway, I understand what you're talking about.
Screaming is hard at first and for some, is not possible. You say that you've practiced screaming till the point of throat sores and blood? Jeez man.. that's dedication. I've noticed from my own experience and the experience of friends and bandmates that a good, powerful scream can only be produced through lots of practice, but also the blistering and stretching of your vocal cords.
It's alot like learning to play guitar. When you first start.. after a few minutes.. your fingers are KILLING you. But after a few weeks practice.. your finger tips develope callosis and hardened to adapt to the playing of the guitar.

Anyway..
I'll get to down to it.
Ok, for the best sounding screams and least painful, I would definately recommend using a sort of vocal spray, something to hold mositure in your throat or to numb any pain you might cause yourself by screaming(numbing it is very effective but you might regret it the next day... pain oh pain..)
Watch some of your favorite bands playing live in a concert, you'll notice every once in a while they spray something in their mouth. I've really noticed this in bands like Linkin Park, Static-x and slipknot.
As for the Used... Bert McCrackin throws up alot on stage. that might be a good alternative to spray.
It's all in the moisture of your throat and vocal cords, you gotta keep it wet. ...or numb.
Or...
Practice more. don't push yourself so hard. take it easy.

"You're a God among insects. Never let anyone tell you differenately." -Magneto, XMen

ReplyQuote