Clear all

Shouting/ Screaming vocals: HELP!

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@mase666)
Topic starter  

Hi there!

I recently joined a band about mid 2006 and it is a punk band hailing various influences from Minor Threat, Melt Banana and probably the biggest, Hot Water Music. And for this band, because we have very angry and political lyrics, i am required to scream or shout

We were recording in the studio other day and i was laying down the vocal tracks to one of our songs, When we first started playing this i was fine with the chorus, whcih is the shouty bit. But when the song was played back with me to the vocals, it seemed like i was struggling to keep in vocal range with the song. Now i am seriously worried each time we paly this song i am damaging my vocal cords, i never warm up or drink water etc so i thoguht maybe this would be the problem, but surely it will still damage my vocal cords.

The main signer i am trying to sound like is Chris Wollard from Hot Water Music, i love his style if you havent heard him listen to The End Of The Line on this site:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=2714555

I am wondering, is their anyway to save my voice and if possible recover my voice to be able to shout ot that pitch again.

I have no knowledge of singing but i know when to finish singing, to relax the voice as much as possible, which is what i do.
Any kind of feedback will be appreciated

Thanks a lot!

(@general-savage)
Eminent Member

Here are a few thoughts.

1) Do warm up, start of with easier songs, don't launch straight into the hardest/highest one, that's asking for trouble.
2) Take the key down a semi tone or too if it sounds strained. It's a question of getting the balance right. Higher pitch will be more powerful but a straining voice will sound exactly that. On the other hand you don't want to be making things too easy for yourself.
3) Some days are better than others
4) It will be easier on days that you are feeling pumped up and motivated rather than when you are tired, getting warmed up is part of getting into it

Dave

General Savage

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

No there isn't a way that I know of. Shouting or screaming is going to burn out your vocal chords fast. The comments above will help, relaxing will help, you might want to find a vocal teacher that can teach your style.

ReplyQuote
(@moriondor)
Trusted Member

I know this thread has been here for a while but just incase you where still looking for tips on sreaming or shouty vocals check out this lady who teaches people in the Metal/Punk/Harcore scene:

http://www.melissacross.com/vocal_training_products.php

She has DVD's and other stuff to teach you methods and tricks to stop vocal cord damage and enable you to become a more powerful 'Screamer'.

a cauliflower is just a cabbage with a college education

ReplyQuote
(@shredhed)
Eminent Member

Yes, I would recommend the "Zen of Screaming" by Mellissa Cross. I havent actually got it but I've heard it's a fantastic resource for anyone wanting to scream. I'm going to order my copy soon :roll:

ReplyQuote