Clear all

Singing

23 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@crub05)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey...ive been writing songs and playing music and ATTEMPTING to sing for years and years now. And I never thought that I couldnt actualyl sing....just thought I wasnt good...but I played in a band for a little while and I got left out at the end because two or three people told me I really couldnt sing...and Ive posted on here before me singing and people have said the same thing. I just wondered without people straight up saying "everyone can sing, just practise" if it is really worth it?...ya know...just like...can some people literally not sing...no matter how hard they try....and if so...can anything be done or will it take years and years...Cuz I dont have the money for lessons either....

Please give some honest helpful advice...and if you need to hear just how crap I am....visit:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iA-opvsZ4g4

(the guitar is outta tune...thus making me out of tune but in general...do I even hit a note?).....and granted thats quite even poor for my standards cuz I had a cold so the verses sound completely off....but still......(how embarresing lol).....lol

This took a lot for me to post up so pppplease be 100% honest....

Thank you so much....

X

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

First of all, I'm knda known on these boards for being honest in a nasty way. That being said: the vocals aren't fantastic. However, there are a number of reasons for it:

1) Your guitar ain't tuned, that's bound to mess things up in your head
2) Your playing and singing simultanously. This means you can't focus fully on the vocals which makes it sound a bit powerless.
3) You seem quite young. It's very much possible you're voice is still changing.

If I were you I'd sing until the day I'd die. Heck, I am *worse* then you and I'll always sing. If you got something to say then let nobody tell you nothing about nothing. If people don't like it it's their problem. A recent clip of me singing:
https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28967

I know it ain't perfect. I know it ain't always in tune. But hey, that's how things are, you just have to live with what you've got. And in your case I wouldn't worry too much. It's good enough to work with already and you can only improve on it.

ReplyQuote
(@crub05)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

hey thanks ever so much for your quick reply....ya know whats it like tho...when u wanna do somet but your scared that your making a full of yourself...but your right....things should hopefully only get better I think its just my technique too...I think I need to sit in a room and sing and breath in different ways till i find somet thats comfortable and sounds ok...and just right songs that arent to high (cannonball for one is really hard for me to sing...but its a great song to just play and sing to)....and as far as your points....i agree with teh tuning...although I dont think I have a problem with playing and singing...cuz im just as bad...if not better! at singing with the guitar....cuz that way I can feel the music more and ive been able to do both for years now...And im 18 so I would have hought that my voice has developed quite a bit?...But I could be wrong??

But anyway...thanks...your right....ive got a lot to say...and not all brilliant musicians are good singers hey?...take people like Leonard Cohen lol...

Cheers again m8

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Since you can't afford lessons, you might consider joining a church choir or community chorus. At either one you'll be around people that know how to sing. You'll learn about singing and music. Singing with others is just like playing guitar with others, it's a very good way to learn.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i listened to the 1st verse and chorus. you sounded ok on the verse, but you were flat on the chorus. you need to sing more fully. practice with songs that you can play easier, so you can focus on your voice, or practice the guitar parts until it comes easily. the chorus on that song is a bit louder than the verse, but it sounds like you didn't even make an effort to hit the notes. if you try to hit the note and fail, then you can always correct it, but if you hold back, you're not going to be able to reach it at all. it's like in sports, if you flinch before a tackle, it's going to hurt more.

ReplyQuote
(@guitbusy)
Trusted Member

double post...

Older Newbie

ReplyQuote
(@guitbusy)
Trusted Member

Not bad, you have a unique voice in a good way. The guitar was out of tune, and that surely effected your singing, but... If you can sing out of tune to the guitar, then you can sing. You need to practice. Without doing lessons here are a couple cheap suggestions. Don't play any instruments, just focus on singing.
1. Sing all the time (in the car, in the shower, etc) and listen to yourself. It is helpful to do this to the radio, a cd or what ever. Notice where you are off and actively correct yourself as you sing. Do this for the rest of your life (ok you can stop to eat).
2. Record your singing and play it back to yourself with a critical ear. Do this as much as possible. Many times people are flat, slightly lower than the actual note, and so were you. Actively listen for the correct note and how your voice sounds against that and adjust.
3. Find a smaller church and join their praise band. Play guitar to start (I assume you are more comfortable with that, if not then jump right in singing as part of a group), and work on your vocals there. Find a mentor here and have them help you out. You will get a lot of free lessons. You can do this a number of other places, but I know from experience that the church worship group is usually a low stress helpful environment for new singers.

All in all you can get there from where you are at, keep practicing and enjoying singing...

Older Newbie

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

yeah its better than i expected when i read the post thats for sure..

be more confident. a restrained voice means your vocal chords are constricted and it wont sound nearly as good. so pick the volume up A LOT. also try and open your mouth more to let the sound flow better. when you watch real singers go for it they dont look calm and reserved theyre out there belting it regardless off faces theyre pulling to do it. the less self conscience you are the better it will sound. i know its hard for the camera though buddy :P

ReplyQuote
(@crub05)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Cheers guys. I really mean it. You gave me just the posts I wanted, Honest but really helpful. Im really glad that you all gave me physical things to consider like the volume and technique...ill really try to take a big listen to what Im doing and practise a lot...because in all honesty apart from constantly singing ive never tried to actually practise and see what im doing wrong (and right). So thanks ever so much....And maybe ill post another attempt up after ive took in what you have all said and improved on it.

Thank you so much again....I love this place lol..

X

ReplyQuote
(@fah-q)
Estimable Member

im no singing expert probably not any good but i liked it you got a cool voice it looked like in some places you were getting caught up on playing and singing
cool guitar what kind is it?

ReplyQuote
(@crub05)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

hey. thanks for your compliment...Thats really boosted my self-confidence more than it prob would everyone else...just for the fact that im one of these people who prefers interesting sounding voices than people who can sing....eg I prefer someone like Bob Dylans voice to Mariah Carey any day (not saying Dylan cant sing...hes just not as known for it)....So...Thank you.....And the guitar is an ovation replica...not sure who by....think its Legend or somet :s...lol fancy me being on a guitar forum and not knowing swuat about one of my own. But yeah...got a really good tone (not picked up too well on that vid tho)...had problems with the action when I first brought it...but...sorted it out myself....lol...

Thanks again!!

X

ReplyQuote
(@cassie8916)

Went to your video but I had no sound so could not hear you singing. I wrote a little booklet to teach people how to sing. I was terrible until I was 55 years old and decided to find out why I couldn't sing. My journey to learn to sing plus my directions to learn from are in the booklet. I will send it to you by e-mail for free if you are interested.

[email protected]

ReplyQuote
(@crub05)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey...thought id post another video of me singing...Im not actually sure why...but I felt like it lol...its one of my own songs and its a bit softer....I recorded it a minute ago....I have a chest infection too which has drastically affected it...so again...im not sure why ive posted it!! :lol: but anyway.

Really I just feel as though my voice is stuck behind something everytime I sing a song like this....it always feel like im constantly blocked up....this could just be my voice and my lack of being able to sing...lol....im not sure.

Also you can comment on the actual song if you like...I wrote it in 5 minutes the other day but its quite a personal song....

Also...thought id warn you that there is a loud text message sound in the intro that mite startle some people...sorry!!....if everythings too bad ill post another version up...cuz I could have done a lot better...but...if anyone could help me with the whole blocked sound id be greatful.
thanks again!!

heres the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1dYVHrlafs

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

IMO there are very small percentage of people who cannot sing and will never be able to sing.

I live with one of that small percentage!

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@crub05)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Anyone? :(

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2