Clear all

Singing help?

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@crub05)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok so...after a gig about a week ago ive kind of come under the conclusion that I REALLY cant sing...I used to put it off and say I could be worse bladdy blah and guess the atmosphere of most places made me not think bout my singing...only this was a party only about 50 people and I sounded BAD. But it wasnt a one off, it was just how I sound.

I was wondering if anyone can just point me in the right direction and tell me what It is that makes my voice sound awful...Because I didnt think I was off pitch...just that I sound awfiul....

I only have one example and sadly ive put effects on it which I guess I shouldnt have as it might be harder to hear whats wrong. Its one of my own songs so if it is out of pitch its probably my writing as well as singing, so can anyone give me tips and point me in the right direction about my singing apart from pitch problems. Thank you. For an example listen below:

http://myspace.com/cafelightsband

(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

I don't think your voice sounds bad at all, though it does need a bit of work. You are correct that pitch is not the problem. It sounds to me as if you're blowing too much air--your voice is very breathy. I suspect that you're doing this for stylistic reasons, and I wouldn't want to say that you should strive for this style. Still, for the time being, you should try to sing with the same sound as you speak. Because you're not using your speaking voice, your tone is a little unstable.

I think you should invest in a few lessons, if possible. I suspect you could make a lot of progress quickly, and I think you would be pleased with the results.

If nothing else, keep singing!

ReplyQuote
(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

Oops! I meant to say this: "I suspect that you're doing this for stylistic reasons, and I wouldn't want to say that you should NOT strive for this style." Sorry for the error!

ReplyQuote
(@crub05)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Anyone else? :(

ReplyQuote
(@baritone)

Not bad, I'll tell you what I hear:

I think you *may* be pushing out a bit too much air when you sing, and it's actually a tad nasally (although I understand you're going for the "quiet" style. I find it hard to discern what you are saying many times, and it's often a bit sharp (ie. around 1:11, "one whisper"). It's also a little shakey at times.

Now I agree with Jack -- Can you record yourself singing normally, without the stylizing? Just projecting any song. It would really help us get a better "feel" for your voice.

Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

first off get lessons, you dont know what your doing wrong until someone shows you and you will make HUGE advancements in a short time, its worth the money but only if you put into practice what you learn.

also something i have found is dont try and control the pitch my squeezing your throat, sing from the gut and imagine the words coming out without touching anything else. your pitch will be better, sound stronger and you wont have the throat strain, sometimes is sounds like the words get caught in a persons throat and are actually hindered by that, not 'directed'

haRRy

ReplyQuote
(@crub05)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey....I was told to post another wav of me singing on here without trying to stylise....And im not sure ive managed to do it lol.....well...you see the song is the same style etc :s....and the singing sunds very dull on playback (eg more like talking than singing...) but it was the only song ive recorded recently :S....im thinking of just giving up hahahah nah kididng.....Either I try to hard and its out of pitch and nasally etc or I put less effort it and it sounds like im not even singing....

wel anyway heres the song....you can comment on whatever you like lol

http://myspace.com/cafelightsband

its the song 'Alright Sometimes'

I should record another one without a cold and when I know it sounds ok....im not even really sure why im posting a song which isnt really me trying to sing very well but still...any pointers so I can sing without feeling like its so much of a "mission"?

thanks

ReplyQuote
(@nathan080)
Estimable Member

Hey,
I thought the singing on Alright sometime was MUCH better, a lot less forced and had a lot more warmth to it. So well done you seem to have improved a lot.

Maybe its cause you said you had a cold but it still sounds a little bit nasal, not criticizing at all cause I think you have a good voice. I too have quite a nasal voice so I've been concentrating on low larynx exercises. A quite common cause of a nasal sound is a high larynx as it can force air too high. If you try to talk a little bit like Yogi bear you will feel that your larynx will come down a bit and open up your throat... to much of this and you sound like a cartoon, but a little can make you sound a lot less nasal. Well it helps me anyway.

But keep up the good music, your doing well :D.

From Your Influence...
http://www.overplay.com/BandProfile.aspx?BandId=e78b497f-4f31-4182-8659-e8b6fa91d582

http://www.youtube.com/user/FromYourInfluence

ReplyQuote
(@crub05)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

hey man, thanks a lot, I mean it....Im glad your saw some improvement. And yeah it sounds very nasally...I think thats what I meant by that it sounds like im talking....But im glad your saw some sort of improvement :) Ill keep on trying.....Ive been singing differently loads recently to see how I sound trying different things....so...hopefully ill stumble on something good soon......I wanna keep trying....because I think the day I myself am happy with how I sing a song is gunna be one of the best days ever....so...Ill kep practising :)

thanks again

x

ReplyQuote
(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

I agree with Nathan080: In this new song your voice is much improved! Keep singing on your voice--remember that singing is speaking in varying pitches. (My former vocal teaches says that.) The breathy stuff should be avoided. I see you like Ray LaMontagne, who manages to pull off a breathy style quite well. This is rare. Most of us who blow air through our singing voices pay for it with a loss of good tone.

Anyway, much better! :D

Jersey Jack

ReplyQuote
(@crub05)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks again.... :)....And yeah I love Ray...think his voice is amazing.....but yeah your right...I know that breathy voices can damamge your vocal chords too....its just really not east for me to sing any different...not sure whether its because of how bad my asthma can be or its just inproper breathing/singing technique....but ive been practising it and not sure its getting better :S I think I might find a singing tutor when I get some money :) Cause I love singing/playing/writing more than anything.....just dont wanna kill people with the sound at my gigs hahahaha

thanks again

xx

ReplyQuote