Skip to content
Singing in a band w...

Notifications
Clear all

Singing in a band without any training - possible?

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

It's me again. So now I have this bug to sing it seems. Is it advisable to have at least some vocal training before attempting to sing in a group/band? Or does it depend on what's more important to them, a good voice or someone that already knows how to breathe, etc? I was thinking maybe I could go to some local places that encourage ad lib performances and go from there? There's a local music store that does this, you can hang out and practice or get up and perform, I've yet to visit it though and am thinking I might go and get a general feel of the place and see what other folks do there. I think it would be fun for the most part. What do you guys think or what is your opinion from experience (or non experience :))?

(@alangreen)

If you get the gig you will eventually get round to realising that you need a voice coach - night after night of yelled vocals with little or no warmup will, sooner or later, reach out and give you a sore throat (leading to cancelled gigs) and a big tap on the shoulder (that you can't go on like that).

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Vocal coach doesnt hurt but its not always needed either. Its kind of like guitar. Some people crank out guitar without ever getting a guitar teacher. Its usually the longer harder way about things but a little talent and practice goes a long way.

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Freddie Mercury never took vocal lessons. Nither John Lennon or Bob Dylan. Hence, they are not mandatory.

If you think you can sing well without any guidance, go ahead. However, if it doesn't work out or you feel that you need some practice beforehand, a couple of vocal lessons won't hurt.

You can check out several vocal training sites online. Just google 'vocal training' or 'how to sing' etc.

Good Luck.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Freddie Mercury never took vocal lessons. Nither John Lennon or Bob Dylan.

Maybe Bob Dylan shoulda done LOL

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Some people are just nturally talented. What I may think sounds like garbage someone else will find very good. Voice lessons are sorta like guitar lessons, do you need them NO, will they help you YES.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Absolutely, Causnorign! I sang without any training for years, then a friend who is a classically trained vocalist began teaching me things that greatly improved my breath control and taught me exercises to enable me to hit those notes that were just out of my range before. My voice became stronger and my enunciation got much clearer and I could hold notes longer. All in all, I became a better vocalist because of what she taught me.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all. I'm not sure I'm naturally talented but I worry about breathing more than anything else. I certainly won't be belting out any soprano notes...I don't have a deep voice, not sure what you would classify it as but learning to play guitar has opened up other realizations that I didn't know I even wanted to do. :D

ReplyQuote