Clear all

Singing more than usual

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm currently with a band where we share a lot of the vocal duties. I sing 5 songs in our first set, nothing in the second, and one in the third with a smattering of background vox betwixt.

I've been toying with the idea of doing a little side project with just me and my 12-string doing restaurants, etc. However, I am unsure about my vocal endurance going the entire night. My "sweet spot" is the key of C Major, but I can't do songs in that key all night. I also have a tendency to be a "belter" when it comes to singing, so I'm sure that may be a factor.

Anyone else here have experience with this? Were there any other unforseen issues when switching over?

m

(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

If you mean doing restaurants as in sitting in them and playing dinner music, I'd imagine you wouldn't actually be singing most of the time, the few places I've seen that do this didn't actually sing, they just played through about an hour long set list of well known easy listening songs.

Or do you mean just pretty much playing in front of a restaurant for tips or something?

ReplyQuote
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

No the places I was thinking of have verandas and outdorr lounges, etc.

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

Provided you warm up properly and drink plenty of water then singing for a few hours shouldn't do you any harm at all.I rehearse with my band for about 3 hours at a time with no ill effects.

Good Luck

Bob

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

my voice gets stuffed very easy, and while it doesnt sound any different i need to put more and more pressure through it to make noise :P bad thing is that after a few songs i cant go back to the quiet lower songs because my voice wobbles and cracks, we just adjust our set for it, start on quiet songs and build up throughout ending on things like seether and silverchair where loud distorted vocals are whats needed. plus its fun to scream it when your voice is shot! :D

ReplyQuote