Clear all

Singing teacher problem

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@gaspacho)
Topic starter  

Hey there guys I got a few questions if you could help me:
I didn't really know that I can sing but when I got my first guitar I started to play and sing along so I found out. I love group called Pearl Jam so I mostly played their songs but soon I found out (mostly my friends told me) that I have voice very simmilar to the guy from Pearl Jam. I started to sing in a group but I have few problems with that. I want to visit a singing teacher but I'm kind of afraid what he would say:

1. I don't know what kind of voice I have. I can never fit it in some range. Will the teacher tell me that?

2. I have much smaller range than the Pearl Jam guy (Ed Vedder) but I read an article on the internet that the range can be expanded.

Could you guys tell me something more about these issues (mostly you that have experience with singing teachers). Thanks guys. Have a nice day

(@love-tractor)
Eminent Member

Firstly yes, a teacher can help you find out what range you are. As for your range, you're right, it can be expanded. Not so much down but there's a fair bet that you can increase yours quite a bit up. Also I know it's a bit daunting going to a singing teacher but they'll be supportive, I'll promise you that.

ReplyQuote
(@alkonacc)

wowwwwwwwww i have the same problem .......hy every body well I AM new i am of argentina and well y dont speak well english but i try, why not? y have a big problem......well i have a wonderfull voice, this say my teacher but y dont want to sing because i am :oops: and y dont want yo sinf with all my partners waching me help!!!!!!!!!!!

and my mother say, " you have to go to a teacher of singin, y say now y am totaly afraid they are at the same problem

ReplyQuote
(@guitbusy)
Trusted Member

First Gaspacho. Singing teachers are their to teach you. Part of that is too make you feel comfortable, so they can see your strengths and weaknesses and the provide you with their knowledge. They should be very supportive, so you have nothing to lose, and a lot to gain by going to a teacher. They should answer all the questions that you have in a comfortable environment.

Now Alkona!!. I think you are saying you are embarrased to sing in front of people. I don't know anything that you have done in your life, but I bet you have done many things for the first time right? This is the same, you just need to get comfortable with yourself(practice singing a lot, specifically the first song you will sing in front of someone else), and be confident in what you are doing (practice in front of the mirror, so you know what you look like and get comfortable with that) and then step out on a limb and sing in front of people that you are comfortable with (family, close friends, etc.). Once you have done this, start growing that comfort level by singing in front of other friends, look for a local group of singers that get together and can give you support, etc.

Prepare ahead of time and you minimize your risk and increase your comfort (or decrease your discomfort) when you sing in front of people for the first time. People are a lot more understanding, then we think they will be.

Older Newbie

ReplyQuote