Clear all

Singing While Playing

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have been taking some voice lessons, and it appears it has really helped, as I am getting more positive feedback from people these days regarding my vocals. However, once comment I do get is that folks say I tend to sing much better when I am not playing guitar. i'm still decent with the guitar, just much better without.

Anyone else come across this? Any suggestions? I suspect the cause is that when I am playing I ma focusing more on the guitar and when I'm not I am focusing more on the vocals. I know I am in key- so it is more of a voice tome, or maybe a finesse issue. My thought is just more practice- the more familiar I become with the guitar parts of a song the less i have to focus on it and I can then pay more attention to the vocal parts. I have recorded myself, and I notice that my vocals do tend to sound better on the songs I know the best and don't have to think so much about while I'm performing.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

(@davidhodge)

My thought is just more practice- the more familiar I become with the guitar parts of a song the less i have to focus on it and I can then pay more attention to the vocal parts. I have recorded myself, and I notice that my vocals do tend to sound better on the songs I know the best and don't have to think so much about while I'm performing.

People argue both sides of this coin, but the bottom line is that you're on the right track. The more one aspect of "singing while playing" is almost on automatic pilot, as it were, the better you'll become at both. Personally, I think that it's not only easier but more important to have the guitar part down. You can (and good singers do) weave their melodies all around the rhythms and chords of songs, so having the rhythm down pat allows you to do more with your voice.

Likewise, knowing where you're going to breathe and rest your voice allows you to provide guitar fills for yourself. It's a two-way street and you'll undoubtedly find yourself hopping from one side of it to the other as you improve and as you gain confidence in both aspects.

One thing I'd like to toss in here, though (and it's not meant to be a splash of cold water), is that if you're practicing to perform, do yourself a favor and also practice your singing with a microphone. "Playing" a microphone is a skill that needs practice just as singing and playing an instrument does. You don't know how many people simply assume they can sing into a mic and ultimately derail what can be a great performance. Maybe we can talk Nick into writing a piece (or two or three) on the subject.

Looking forward to more progress reports and keep up the good work!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

One thing I'd like to toss in here, though (and it's not meant to be a splash of cold water), is that if you're practicing to perform, do yourself a favor and also practice your singing with a microphone. "Playing" a microphone is a skill that needs practice just as singing and playing an instrument does. You don't know how many people simply assume they can sing into a mic and ultimately derail what can be a great performance. Maybe we can talk Nick into writing a piece (or two or three) on the subject.

Thanks for the feedback, David. I value your opinion and it's good to know I'm generally on the right track. And I do, in fact, practice with a microphone. When I am doing songs, paricularly when trying to polish them for performnce, I practice them as I will perform them- standing up, with a mike, and with the guitar amped. I also record these so I can critique myself.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote