Something else sags as you age....

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Apparently it's my vocal register.

Case in point: not too long ago - let's say 5 or 6 years - I could sing Sammy Hagar's "I'll Fall in Love Again" with no sweat.

Now, as I approach the twilight of my 40s, I can do it, but it's a much bigger stretch than it used to be. And my poor ol' cords need a good rest after.

I can't turn back the clock, and I know this is a part of aging, but is there a way I can at least slow down the degradation? At this rate, I will qualify for covering songs by Yello.

(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

does your range decrease with age? i didnt think this was the case...you sure its not just that your not singing as much as you used to?

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I just turned 48, and I can't hit those high notes I used to as a twenty-something, but I can definitely hit some lower notes now that I never used to be able to get down to. I don't think the range has been messed up.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

I think the primary problem is lung capacity, which decreases as one ages. :evil: Because higher notes require more breath support, it may be that range appears to decrease as well. I'd be curious to know whether the high notes are significantly easier at the beginning of a phrase, when the breath is strong.

I'm not aware of any evidence that the cords themselves wear out, but since everything else does, I wouldn't be surprised.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

It seems logical that vocal range will decrease with age but I couldnt find any articles that dealt specifically with the aging voice and singing. Either way, I would think that the best you can do is to use it, develop it, and work on lung capacity exercises. Things of that nature.

Its a good question though, never gave much thought to it.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote