Switching between singing and guitar leads

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

In the band I play in, i'm the lead guitar player, and usually I sing a few background parts. However, for the past week, our singer has been on a trip, so i've had to take over the lead singing duties. Besides a sore throat, what i've found to be the hardest part is switching to lead guitar playing when the solo comes up in a song. It's like I have to completely switch tracks of thinking in my mind, and I find it quite hard. Does anyone have any advice?

(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

You've just found out why you seldom see a lead guitarist also be the lead vocalist, it's very difficult to do both. The only advice I can give is practice.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I suppose there's only a select few who can be both. The one person who comes to mind is John Fogerty from Creedence. He was a very good guitar played AND a very good singer. As for me, I can't wait until the singer comes back!

ReplyQuote
(@dougy_boy)

Playing a lead part (even picking a melody from a fixed chord) has proven to be quite a chore for me. I have been playing for quite some time and have always sung backup parts, but I have been conscripted to sing a couple of Beatle tunes as the lead voice. I can do "I Feel Fine" quite well as the fills usually come in after the vocal has finished for a verse. But, in "If I Needed Someone", starting the lead without going flat on the volcal portion has proven to be a real chore.

Practise is what I need and that is just what I am gong to do. Mercifully, all of the other singing that I do has proven to be quite doable. What was quite humorous was when I had to explain to our horn section (one of whom is the usual lead singer) that their experience is nothing like that of a guitar/keyboard/drummer in that you simply cannot play the horn (we have a trumpet and a sax) and sing...and hence have not been subjected to what the others go through.

Doug

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Aye, I've had put extra bars into songs a few times to help me cope with the switch :)
Yeah, I suppose there's only a select few who can be both. The one person who comes to mind is John Fogerty from Creedence. He was a very good guitar played AND a very good singer. As for me, I can't wait until the singer comes back!

James Dean Bradfield (Manic Street Preachers) does a mighty fine job of it, he even overlaps the two a little on stage too. Prince too, Megadeth's Dave Mustaine (although they do have two guitarists who both play lead, I've never paid attention to who does the parts that come close to the vocals when playing live). And of course, without needing any further comment, there's Jimi...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

ummm, Clapton seems to manage OK too - dontcha just hate a smarte-arse! Just joking EC,,,,,

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@aussie-rocker)
Eminent Member

Stick to your lead guitar mate.

Life's too short to do everything well!

ReplyQuote