Notifications
Clear all

Tenor or Baritone

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@cammy511)
Topic starter  

I you would technically classify my voice as Baritone but I have no trouble and feel quite comfortable singing in the Tenor range even some music such as RUSH or queen I can pull off without a huge amount of difficulty, so am I Low Tenor then ? It also sounds fine according to my friends.

(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

How high above middle C can you get? Tenors range is one octave below middle C to the A above middle C. On solo work Tenors can get as high as high C. Most men are Baritones. Think James Taylor, he's a Baritone.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@bemusical)

it's very possible for a baritone to extend his range into Tenor territory with practice. i'm not too sure, but i think your vocal type tells you more about where your most comfortable range is, rather than the extremes of your range. i've heard if a baritone and tenor tried singing the same note, perhaps an A above middle C, the tenor will have a much brighter sound than the baritone.

i'm guessing that's 'cause that same note would be a lot closer to a tenor's chest voice range than a baritone's (head voice generally have a lighter quality to it).

i mean, i know i'm a baritone, and i even have a low speaking voice, but i can sing the A above middle C no problem -- though it sounds nothing like the A4 my Tenor friend sings. :lol: perhaps it's somewhat the same for you?

"Music is a hearing art." David Lucas Burge

A newbie to music? Just started learning to sing or play the guitar (or keyboard)? Drop by my YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/tuningmylifearound and say hi!^_^

ReplyQuote
(@grendle7)

If you can sing "Bohemian Rhapsody" without difficulty, I'd instinctively say that you're a tenor. That song was kind of made for a tenor....Most Queen songs are full on tenor songs.

ReplyQuote