Clear all

the age old problem of singing and playing at the same time

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@derek-wilkerson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

does anyone know any good exercises for this?? i can play...and i can sing...just not at the same time. i am a bass player in my own band and i need to be able to do vocals as well. i guess practice practice practice would help too..but i was wondering if anyone knew any good practice exercises to get better at this?

bassist for the crux
Randall RB-125-115 120 watt 15" eminence spk.
Randall RBA 500
2X Acoustic B115's
Peavey T-40
Indiana P-bass

(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

I started singing with the bass, and as you know, it's more difficult than singing with rhythm guitar. Now I can even sing and improvise lead guitar fills at the same time.

Here is how I do it:

1) Practice the bass line of the song over and over again until I could play it from memory and without paying too much attention to it

2) Practice the vocals until I got very comfortable with them

3) Put them together, section at a time.

It takes time but it works. You have to pay the dues, there is no quick and easy way to do it. But there is a silver lining, as you develop this skill, it gets easier and easier.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@derek-wilkerson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks buddy! i'll have to try that! :D

bassist for the crux
Randall RB-125-115 120 watt 15" eminence spk.
Randall RBA 500
2X Acoustic B115's
Peavey T-40
Indiana P-bass

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

notes' advice works if you have to learn specific songs, but if you're just trying to work at it in general, starting simple helps. play just straight quarter note root notes while singing. after you get that down, get a little more complex.
try to sing a little every time you practice. harmonize while you play, stuff like that. it's tough to do both. i can improvise lead lines while singing like notes does, but i still can't do both at full throttle and sound as good as either one separately. either the playing gets a little mechanical, or the singing lacks a little feeling.

ReplyQuote