Thom Yorke

23 Posts
10 Users
0 Reactions
(@dannz)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Is he a "great" singer?

Someone past comment about his voice, saying it was like a mourny whine. Saying it was very basic, and he is stuck in falsetto because he cant smoothly make the change from high to chest.

I'm a fan of his voice. Especially at it's best. But what do you guys think? Do you like it? Do you say to yourself, that's where i'd like to be in a few years?

I've never give it much thought. Not really being a singer myself, I assumed he is great.

Dann

(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

Well, since you asked....

Technically, he's not a singer at all--any trained singer would guffaw at the very idea. :shock:
Emotionally, he's about the best in the business. There are few other singers I'd rather listen to, frankly, and I don't personally care that he can't sing in technical terms.

Thom is to my mind in the same league as Dylan, Young, Waits, etc., Not bad company methinks.

Emotion/style/mojo 8) trumps holding a note any day.

So, yeah, I think Thom is a great singer!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I *really* don't think it's fair to put him in a group with Waits and such. I love all these people but Thom is clearly a much better vocalist. He can hold notes much longer, sings far better in tune, has a wider range etc etc. I dont want to sound like him in a few years (everyone would just say I sounded like a clone!) but if I can get that kind of quality I'd be happy.It's like saying Jimi Hendrix isn't a good player and he plays kinda like Neil Young, with Malmsteen as example of 'great guitarists'.

Is Thom going to be singing Don Giovanni anytime soon? Doubt it. But he is a great singer for pop music.

ReplyQuote
(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

Gee, I thought I was giving Thom a great compliment! :roll:

In any case, I also think that Bob and Tom and even Neil can hold a note on occasion, and Thom doesn't consistently sing (to my ears) at a higher level in technical terms. I think any one of these guys can rise up in a given context and be proven the best of the bunch (for that recording. at least). Some of Dylan's vocals are positively stunning, even if he doesn't always reach this mark.

So, while I wouldn't agree that Thom is a better singer in technical terms, he is right there among the best in expressive terms. Which means he is among the best in the business, to my mind.

It's all good! :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

thom yorke. fantastic singer.

ReplyQuote
(@cuppajack)
Eminent Member

thom yorke. fantastic singer.

And an even better dancer!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

And a pretty sharp dresser, too. Anyone up for a fanclub. :P

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

people talking like everyone should sound like pavarotti, but noone listens to opera anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

people talking like everyone should sound like pavarotti, but noone listens to opera anyway.

Really??? :shock: I agree that there's a lot of room for folks who don't sound like opera singers, but please let's allow opera singers their own beautiful corner of the music world! You should try it. Get yourself a big dish of spaghetti and meatballs, a deep glass of chianti, and put on some Puccini. Bliss! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I listen to opera myself. But it's okay, really. I'm sure Thom don't mind that too much. :P

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

thank you for so obviously missing my point.
let me spell it out for you. people act like only people who sound like classically trained vocalists have good voices, when in fact, those voices very often lack the kind of character that makes listening to people like thom yorke or tom waits or tom petty or roger daultry singing 'tommy' so appealing.
besides, who are the ones that are supposed to have the best singing voices? mariah carey and celine dion, cranking out album after album of swill. i guess jeff buckley had an amazing voice, and he was an amazing songwriter, but he's dead.
anyway, this obviously isn't some sort of rule in singing, that you have to have one kind of voice or another. but thom yorke's voice is used absolutely amazingly on many songs, he puts on an amazing live show, and yes, he's a good dancer, too. he's an original.
also, ignar, i wouldn't make fun of him, considering you sound like a poor man's amnesiac-era radiohead.
although i probably shouldn't make fun of mariah carey for the same reason.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

I think more than one person is missing something here. There is not one post in this thread that gives any kind of support to your statement that "only people who sound like classically trained vocalists have good voices." Unless I've totally missed it, you're all agreeing that you think Yorke is a good singer.

While I agree with everyone here that emotion defines a singer, I also think it's dangerous (not to mention wrong) to equate classical training with lack of emotion. Thom's an original. So was Enrico Caruso. Thankfully, it's totally possible to live in a world where they are both great singers.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

thank you for so obviously missing my point.
let me spell it out for you. people act like only people who sound like classically trained vocalists have good voices, when in fact, those voices very often lack the kind of character that makes listening to people like thom yorke or tom waits or tom petty or roger daultry singing 'tommy' so appealing.

As David already suggested we really do agree profoundly about this matter. I believe I am among the most outspoken on this list about the value of vocalists like Thom and Tom. What struck me was your dismissal of opera, which I also happen to like.

Now here's where I'll get myself into trouble :roll:, but the folks around here who do in fact "act like only people who sound like classically trained vocalists have good voices" are the metal and pop/metal crowd. I don't hear many opera fans dissing Dylan and Young and Waits on this list, but there are dismissive comments from time to time coming from fans of Jim Gillette, Bruce Dickinson, Rob Halford, Steve Perry--high-pitched screamers who are, to some extent, trained, and who exemplify vocal chops.

The culture of this kind of music obsesses about the lead singer/front man as rock god. Usually these guys make a point of not playing any instrument; nor are they usually noteworthy songwriters. Vocal chops is the center of gravity--culminating in stunts like Jaime Vendera's ability to break a glass with his voice.

So, again, Thom is AWESOME. My remark that he's not a classically trained vocalist is NOT meant to be dismissive. I do spend some Sunday afternoons with Puccini, but most of the time I hang out with Thom. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

also, ignar, i wouldn't make fun of him, considering you sound like a poor man's amnesiac-era radiohead.

I have no idea why you think I'm making fun of him but thanks for the comment anyway. Considering the amnesiac-era is their best I have no problem accepting that as a compliment.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

To each his own. I'd rank their albums like this:
Amnesiac
Kid A
Hail to the Thief
In Rainbows
OK Computer
The Bends
Pablo Honey

I guess I don't care for guitars much. :P