Clear all

Vocal chord tension

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I've been going at this Brett Mannings Singing Success course, and I have a question about vocal chord tension. When ever I sing, I try to sing from my chest, but I always end up feeling a bit of tension in my vocal chords. So I'm guessing that means I'm somewhere in my throat or head?

But it seems if I don't do that, then I lose control of where my voice is, and can't give it enough support. I can still feel it in my chest though, kind of vibrating, and I know it's now NOT going into my nose, which is good, but I don't want to damage anything by over exertion, is this something that just has to be strengthened?

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I don't know the course, but I'm glad a real human being on the site is taking it, maybe we can get an actual review from you.

Yes, it takes practice. In one of my articles I talk of the sound flowing up and out, doing the lip buzzing or humming exercises to focus the sound. But look, your vocal cords have to move to make sound. Make sure you aren't confusing that with tension.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I could be mistaken it for tension, I just know that while it doesn't really hurt after a bit, they are kind of sore, and not like a sore throat type thing.

The course has some good exercises and I'm learning alot of new terminology when it comes to singing. The one thing that I am having trouble with is the exercise where we go through 5 notes (not necessarily on key, just noise at this point) were you kind of hold your fingers to your mouth and press in and when you blow air out your lips kind of flap.

I can't get a consistent sound with that yet.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Joe. Nick is right. the vocal chords have to move.
when I feel the tension where my throat tightens then I know I am getting out of my comfort range.
singing in some keys, like D, produces tension I don't like. whereas the key of C. my throat feels relaxed yet controlled.
I would be curious to check out the course you are looking at.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

The more I was thinking about it, and the more I was practicing, I'm pretty sure that my voice just needs a rest. I've been going at this pretty hard core for a couple weeks.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

8) We don't distribute illegal copies of anything here on the forum. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Whoops, sorry about that. I forget sometimes that if I make a copy of the one that I bought then it's still illegal.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

no problem....

ReplyQuote
(@popiutyress)

Hey,
it is my understanding that the unpleasant feeling you are describing is probably due to tension in the tongue and/or throat muscles rather than in your vocal chords. Vocals chords are very stretchy and - providing nothing is interfering - it should be easy to reach high pitches. So, I reckon you have other muscles that are getting in the way.

So maybe you do need to strengthen your vocal folds, but you definitely have to relax whatever is getting tight !!!

I had similar issues to begin with.

You should try it out, I found it amazing !

ReplyQuote