Clear all

Voice Breaking Up

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hello again. I've started to do some singing with my band. I do background vocals and now have two songs that I sing lead: Wonderful Tonight and Keep Your Hands To Yourself. Anyway, about halfway through our set, my voice starts to break up, especially on the higher notes. Any suggestions on how I can strengthen my voice? Is it like a muscle where I have to work it out more?

(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Is it like a muscle where I have to work it out more?

You're kind of right - the voice is a muscle, but only by repeated, steady exercise over time will it get stronger. Pushing your voice harder will probably result in problems such as losing your voice or even damaging your vocal chords (obviously this is if your push WAY too hard!)

Practice for a set amount of time each day (say 30 minutes, or whatever you can do before you start breaking up) doing scales as a warmup, and singing the songs you want to sing. You'll see a difference over time, I'm sure!

I'm also sure that others will have better advice too, I'm only repeating what I've read around here before :P

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

dont push it!! i used to have the same thing, and my range would slowly decrease over the night, but now my doctor reckons i could have/be getting vocal nodes (very bad) from misuse of my vocal folds...at the time i just thought it was a nusance but that it was cool to sing rock at the end of a night cause my voice was gravelly, let you voice rest for a while, it will make a difference. also i approached it with the attitude of if i push it my voice will prob stretch/get better...it doesnt... :S so when you reach a note thats slightly hard to reach, only practice up to that note till you can reach it cleanly..then move up a semitone and keep that up and you should be fine

ReplyQuote