Want to sing rock, but teacher I found has me sining other

14 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@mikel33)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello,

I found a a vocal teacher, but he has me sining Itial songs and arias...in Italian (He used to sing on broadway).
Did I find the wrong teacher or is "singing singing" no matter wha the style? I just hope I'm not wasting my money and should be sining with a rock based teacher. Thanks to all who comment.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i used to be in a band with a classically trained vocalist. he had a huge voice. when he hit the high notes, it would pierce my head so much that i'd be afraid of passing out... so you can use that kind of training. it's up to you, though. if you're not getting anything out of it, or not enjoying it, then you should consider changing.

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

You should ask your teacher why it is you are being taught what you are, I imagine it is probably because it doesn't matter so much what you learn early on to build the foundation and this particular music may allow him to easily evaulate mistakes that you make (could just be that's all that he teaches cause he can't stand any other kind of music but I doubt that). When I take singing lessons I intend to take lessons from someone who will teach classical types of songs at least early on, though I think I'd want the songs to be in english for the most part (so I can more easily remember the words and not have to hum along or deal with other enounciation issues another langauge might not share with english).

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Absolutely you should ask how this is going to help you with your rock and roll singing.

If you don't know what it is you are working on, you won't have the foggiest idea of when you have it right or why.

I can tell you several things that you will get from learning classical Italian songs:

1. You won't know what the words mean so you will have to concentrate on the sounds your mouth/throat/head/chest make.
2. Since you won't know the words you will have to learn to emote via your tone and not by saying what you feel.
3. Since you won't be hung up on the words, you'll get your breathing right in phrases.
4. Learning to breathe/support is crucial no matter what style you sing.
5. You will learn the sounds you sing when you sing vowels, which are different than the ones you speak.

I was trained classically and I'm a halfway decent rock singer. When I need to sing long passages, high notes or for hours at a time I fall back on my training. When I start learning a song I think of it classically, the sounds, the phrasing, the breathing.

With all that said you want to make sure that your teacher KNOWS WHAT YOUR END GOAL IS. If you don't understand something, ask.

Good luck

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

I had singing lessons for 6 years ...and I really got a good voice...buuttt...when I was playing with the rock group they told me: 'you're too exaggerated !!' 'you're singing like opera' or ' you have to sing like a songwriter, not like a broadway singer!!'...

I was depressed at the beginning..but then I learned that I had to be more sincere and sing in the context of the song, not to be pretentious (avoid thinking:' i have to impress with my voice') ...with all this, soon you will find that your vocal techniques learned will help you, always.

ReplyQuote
(@mikel33)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I gues what I'm really getting at is... will being classically trained "hinder" my rock vocal goals?

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I gues what I'm really getting at is... will being classically trained "hinder" my rock vocal goals?

Definitely not.

You can always dump the singing lessons, scream your way through rock n roll and have to cancel half your concerts (money-earning occasions) due to sore throats

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@zacharias)
Estimable Member

You can always dump the singing lessons, scream your way through rock n roll and have to cancel half your concerts...
Works for me... :roll: :wink:
But seriously - to be a good vocalist, you need the foundation of technique, how you USE that technique is what denotes your style.
Stick with it man!

Cheers!

Zacharias Wolf

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

No it won't.

Will learning to swim freestyle stop you from doing a cannonball? Nope.

ReplyQuote
(@mikel33)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So we're getting some mixed opinions here..

Is anyone here classically trained and feels it has helped their rock singing?

Nick, are you staying I should stick with the classical vocal teacher?

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

So we're getting some mixed opinions here..

Is anyone here classically trained and feels it has helped their rock singing?

Nick, are you staying I should stick with the classical vocal teacher?

Actually, they are all three saying the same thing. That taking formal lessons wont keep you from singing rock.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

My opinion: stick to your classical trainer....and use your technique for breathing control cause it's necessary, if not your throat will collapse...however if you want to sing the blues of course you won't sing it like Pavarotti...just use your vocal techniques to sing properly..the rest is just sing in context: if the song is Dylan's style,then sing as you think it fits the song...if it's Freddy Mercury's then do it.

a Classical trainer gives you more resources than the average singers.

ReplyQuote
(@number6)
Estimable Member

I'm pretty sure Freddy Mercury was classically trained.

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

ReplyQuote
(@zaiga)
Trusted Member

I'm pretty sure Freddy Mercury was classically trained.

Freddie Mercury never had any vocal lessons, he was self-taught. If you listen to early live recordings (1975 or earlier) you hear that his voice isn't as powerful as later on.

ReplyQuote