Clear all

You CAN sing if you......

16 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well haven't we done , you are passionate about your guitar things and listings , now lets do it with the singing part :) .So... you can sing if -

1.You get everyday up in the morning and bang out a big YAWN.

2.Your car doesn't starts up and you shriek hard at nobody.

3.You bark at the people who don't give you way on the road.

4.Your boss shouts at you and you fly off the mouth (in your heart of course :lol: )

5.You come back home and :cry: because dinner is not ready.

6.Your kids (i don't have any he he i am only 18 ) don't listen to you and you again call them in your booming voice.

7.You are tired , you pick your guitar , but you cannot play that riff whatsoever and you are about to smash it on the wall , but you stop with a ****

8.You go back in the bed , your wife doesn't wants to sleep with you.Guess why?Not what you generally thought but because you SNORE too loud :lol:

9.You finally lay out a sigh , YAWN and go off........ :oops:

So if you can make so many distinct sounds out of just 2 vocal chords guess , you can do same to singing , with a little low volume and a little right tone.Now don't waste time here and SING 8) :D

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Hey Rahul,

I hear what your saying although I still am not much of a beleiver about making someone a good singer.

I know I've read plenty of places about how anyone can sing and I've NEVER seen anyone that couldn't sing magically transformed to a good singer by any method.

Now I guess that gets into the definition of what one considers good singing. Take a Bob Dylan, many would suggest he's not a great singer and the guys been singing for years...I've never noticed any improvement in his singing. Maybe not a great example.

To me singing is not exactly the same as say learning an instrument. While singing you are using you own instrument your voice and your pretty much at the mercy of how your vocal chords were formed etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that more of singing has to do with the physical anatomy of what you were born with.

As much as I'd love to sing my voice is way out of tune and flat..and there is no amount of practicing in the world that will make me sing well.
Sure I could probably search hi and low for the one or two songs my half octave range, flat voice can sing but that's about it. 99% of music would be out of my league

I can play and sing (will call it sing anyway) a few songs which in the privacy of my own room is fine, but other than tormenting either my kids or smokin dog here I wouldn't let anyone else hear it.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I could do it.

Out of tune and flat I could fix. Limited range I could probably do something about.

But sure, you are limited by what you have.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

cnev,

maybe we should compare notes - could be that my sharps correspond to your flats and even themselves out :shock:
Then, again, we could be the secret weapon of mass destruction that dubya's been looking for :oops: :oops:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

So Nick are you saying you can take my horrible sounding singing and make it so it's only slightly nauseating? Wow

OK that was a little sarcasim, but don't get me wrong yes I probably could with practice improve my voice to some degree but improving (which is a relative term) and being good (which is more of an absolute thing) are two different things.

It's like shooting baskets. If I could only make 1 out of a hundred and you got me to make 5 out of 100 that would be an improvement, but I'd still sux at shooting baskets.

It's just that anyone that I've ever thought was a halfway decent singer had something to work with to start, then they developed their voice from there...but if you voice is made of coal to start with ain't no way your turning it into a diamond now matter how long you practice.

Now Nick I've heard tell your quite the singer and I would bet you always had at least some ability to sing. Like when you were a wee little lad in school or whenever you first started singing my guess is that it was obvious that you had a decent voice. Now you may sing much better now then back then but it's because you had the foundation to work with in the first place.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Grey,

I hear yea. I really wish that I could sing, when ever I play the guitar there seems to be something missing and it's the singing but there's no amount of training that would get me much more than mediocre at best.

It's a cruel world not to have a talent for anything.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

cnev,

my wife is always going on about me playing and singing for her, you know, birthdays, christmas, etc.. I just tell her that I don't want to spoil a good day by singing! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Besides, I can't "sing" and "play" at the same time - rub my stomach and pat my head - no problem. But strum, chords AND sing - overload!

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

if you don't believe dylan can sing, listen to the "nashville skyline" album. it might still not convince you, but it'll suprise the heck out of you.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

There are a number of examples of people with bad voices that can and do sing. You either have to have a good voice or a good story to tell.
Bob Dylans success was because of the stories he was telling.
If you bring it from the heart it will be good.
John287in,
I fit number 8 myself.
I have one to add, when you are making your way to the toilet in the dark and someone left the bathroom scale in the middle of the floor (I made all kinds of different sounds that time)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

There are a number of examples of people with bad voices that can and do sing. You either have to have a good voice or a good story to tell.
Bob Dylans success was because of the stories he was telling.
If you bring it from the heart it will be good.
John287in,
I fit number 8 myself.
I have one to add, when you are making your way to the toilet in the dark and someone left the bathroom scale in the middle of the floor (I made all kinds of different sounds that time)

Hey missileman , You can call me 'Rahul' next time onwards.Thats my name.(its indian , sounds pretty strange :wink: )

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

cnev,

my wife is always going on about me playing and singing for her, you know, birthdays, christmas, etc.. I just tell her that I don't want to spoil a good day by singing! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Besides, I can't "sing" and "play" at the same time - rub my stomach and pat my head - no problem. But strum, chords AND sing - overload!

Hey Greybeard , i forgot to write in my points.

10. All people who have greybeards can sing :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

There are people who can not carry a tune but they are very rare and ussually they can't play an instrument either. If you can hear a tune in your head, you can sing. It just takes practice.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@p_allen)
Estimable Member

People aren't born with great voices. They may have an aptitude for singing but they've still had to learn it just like everyone else and it's just a case that people who have a supposed 'natural talent' have simply learnt it earlier and perhaps quicker than most.

And anyway, the first step towards improving your voice is confidence. Don't be negative, you can become a better singer if you want to and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Remeber, always believe in yourself because if you don't nobody else is going to.

Pete. :)

Why Do Other Peoples Shipbuilding When you Could Go Diving For Pearls Of Your Own?

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

When I was a kid - several lifetimes ago - I was an altarboy, sometimes at morning mass (8am) there would be the priest, myself and about 6 parishioners...so, obviously, the priest would sing a lot, but I had to sing the responses....

Fast-forward to grammar school, I'm in the school choir from day one - third year at grammar school, I'm still singing soprano with the first year kids....then the voice broke....

Went from choirboy to Paul Robeson overnight....well Ok, I went from soprano to bass in a few short weeks....

I still have a deep voice, but over the years, it's lost a lot of power/projection....probably most of that can be blamed on smoking....

Funny thing though, in my twenties, The Police were pretty big, all of a sudden I could hit the high notes again....and then all of a sudden I couldn't they disappeared almost overnight....

These days I'm somewhere between a bass and a baritone....trouble is, if I want to sing along with an oldie on the radio, I usually end up straining to pitch it an octave higher than what would be comfortable for me, or singing in my normal register in which case I'm an octave lower than the song playing....

Ah hell....anyone for a quick chorus of "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" or "Ol' Man River?"

Sorry if I'm waffling, or ranting, I'm just sooooo frustrated at the moment....I've got a lot of songs I want to record, but I just can't seem to find the right key for them....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member

rub my stomach and pat my head
I still can't get that right... 8)

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote