Clear all

36 Gibson with a CC pickup!

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I've finally found a lap slide after looking for awhile.

A 1936 H-150 Gibson aluminun bodied one that a friend has. Comes with an amp but the amp is in REALLY bad shape.
Cool thing is that it comes with a genuine "Charley Christian" pickup in it. I haven't had a chance to get it yet but I'm stoked! I'm picking it up in about two weeks.

Anyone know how this pickup sounds? I was told it is sorta like a P-90 but not as dark.

Pics soon...

Now I gotta start playing some open tuning stuff. :twisted:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

is it like this one?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

that's hot..............

sorry Paris.
well, no I'm not.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Yep, EXACTLY!

Is this one yours? Do you have pics of the guts of the amp? Where did you find it? How does it sound?

God, I sound like a little girl!

The guitar is in great shape other than seventy years of patina. I'd really like to restore the guts of the amp, I have schematics, but this amp uses some old oddbal tubes, power tubes are #42.

Any idea what it's worth?

IMHO, coolness factor is off the charts!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That is way cool!

The P-90's a direct descendant of the pickup, there ought to be a family resemblance.

Those tubes aren't hard to get, and the ones in it may work fine. The old capacitors and resistors may well be shot of course. (The electrolytic caps almost certainly will be.)

http://tubesandmore.com/

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Yep, EXACTLY!

Is this one yours? Do you have pics of the guts of the amp? Where did you find it? How does it sound?

God, I sound like a little girl!

The guitar is in great shape other than seventy years of patina. I'd really like to restore the guts of the amp, I have schematics, but this amp uses some old oddbal tubes, power tubes are #42.

Any idea what it's worth?

IMHO, coolness factor is off the charts!

no, i just found the pic on the web. very nice tho

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I'm figuring that everything except trannys, chassis and sockets are dead. Hopefully, the field coil speaker is O.K. But everything else is pretty much dead. The guy said that it worked ten years ago then the cord broke. I don't see it but I dont see any crispy items. Just a lot of broken connections and tons and tons of dust.

All other parts seem to be available, tubes, caps resistors, etc.... Nothing gets done until I go over everything with a meter.
This amp has been repaired, (of course) sometimes badly. Not surprising considering that the original owner gigged this setup for years until he died of old age. Handed down to his son who didn't play then handed down again to HIS son, who also, didn't play. Given to my friend who does play but he has no interest in it. Always kept in case and, in general, forgotten about until recently.

Amp will be a long term project, no hurry on anything and I'll research the hell out of it before I do anything, I think that it is important to look at it as a historical artifact first. From my understanding, this is one of the first, if not the actual first example of a commercially produced guitar-oriented amp.

Box is in fair shape, won't be touched. Badly faded but recognizable.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I think National beat them to it, but that's a very early one.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Amps that old had resistors and capacitors coded with different color coding systems than the current standard, too. Lots of information on that stuff on antique radio sites.

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

That's a cool little lap steel, congratulations! 8)

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote