About Brass Slides

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 jilm
(@jilm)
Topic starter  

Hello

I have a brass slide but it seems old, I figure it could use some polish. Been playing a Fender acoustic and it sounds kind of noisy on these old nylon strings,(picture a scraping sound). The tiny sticker inside says its a Jim Dunlop USA 222.

I was wondering what the correct procedure would be to go about spiffing it up. I looked with the little search deal in the upper right but no luck. I'll definitely be picking up some new strings for the guitar too if that is actually my main problem sound-wise.

Thanks for any input :!:

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Brasso, Bar Keeper's Friend, Copper Glo, Mother's Metal Polish and lots of other products will do the job. Use a soft cloth like an old T-shirt and twist the slide in the polishing cloth so you're rubbing it around the circumference of the slide. To keep it shiny and slick when it's not already so cruddy, you can't beat Nevr-Dull Wadding.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

+1 on Ric's cleaning advice.

I'll add: if your string windings are bronze or similar, you may want to try a chrome plated or glass slide to cut down on the friction. also, nylon strings are a bit atypical for slide playing, so the results may not sound like those you hear on recordings -- less singing sustain. but if your guitar is classical or flamenco, don't switch to "steel" strings.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I wasn't really paying attention to the nylon strings part. Like gnease said, slides aren't commonly used on nylon strings, and they'll sound different from the steel strings (often on resonator guitars) you usually hear on recordings. But nothing says you can't do it. I have friends who've slid on classic guitars, banjos, mandolins and ukuleles and made it sound good.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote