Clear all

Acoustic slide guitars

14 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@witchdoctor)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

What do you use for an acoustic slide guitar? Not Weissenborn style, but regular Allman-style slide guitar? Also, what do you use for a slide when playing acoustic? Just interested to know. I have a mid 60's EKO Ranchero 6 and I play it with a Craftsman 13/16 deep socket. If it gets too heavy I use a handmade wine bottle slide a friend (Houserocker Johnson) gave me. It is great for electric but a bit light for acoustic, so I use the socket most of the time. I use .015 resophonic bronze strings.

(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I use a heavy chrome Jim Dunlop about two inches long. I also use the same, brand, size, thickness & length, but in pyrex for electric. Just my taste on my particular guitars. There is no set rule. What ever sounds good to you.

Fool around with different slides. I started with a longer one; went to a blues bottle; the shorter pyrex & decided on the chrome for the acoustic. As I said, what ever sounds good to you.

Good luck & keep on slidin'....

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

On those heavier strings, the Craftsman socket, heavy brass Dunlop slide and Bigheart Bronze Bomber are great slides.

I've gone to using 12s and a Diamond Ultimate crystal glass slide has become my favorite.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

There is no set rule. What ever sounds good to you.

Amen to that! I use the lightest strings possible on ALL my guitars - 9's are my preference. The Squier Tele I play slide on has had the action adjusted, but I still use the 9's - they suit me. With those strings, I use the lightest glass slide possible!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@slickcat)
Estimable Member

I use a custom set of nickel wound strings Ernie Ball. .013;.015;.019;.24;.34;.44.
I also use my Diamond 50/50 glass slide with metal core for weight.

Slip___Sliding___Away__________

ReplyQuote
(@witchdoctor)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

What tuning are you using? That's an odd string set.

ReplyQuote
(@slickcat)
Estimable Member

I switch back and forth...mainly D and G on my acoustic.

ReplyQuote
(@witchdoctor)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yikes. Open D with .009's? I use .015's... I don't know how you keep the slide off the frets...

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Yikes. Open D with .009's? I use .015's... I don't know how you keep the slide off the frets...

Patience, perseverance and practise! The downside of using light strings is that you have to acquire a light touch, but the upside is, all my guitars have the same strings and feel comfortable to ME - someone else might feel uncomfortable with them, but I bought them for me to play, not someone else!

I could probably get away with 10's on acoustic - but I like 9's, and I'm used to them, so why bother? And - I only have one acoustic at the moment, so if I'm playing slide on it, nine times out of ten it'll be standard tuning...the other one time will be open G.

If the acoustic happens to be in open G, there are quite a few songs I play by fretting AND sliding - if I had 15's on it, hell, I wouldn't be able to fret them!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@slickcat)
Estimable Member

We are gonna have to call Vic "Mr Smooth and Lite" :D
I gotta give you credit, its not easy to slide on those tiny strings.. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

No, it's not, but it can be done.

Right now I'm sliding on a Washburn dreadnought strung with 12s in Open E, using my Diamond Ultimate.

I've been working on transposing The Meat Puppets' Lake of Fire to Open E tuning. The power chord part's dead easy, of course. :D

ReplyQuote
(@witchdoctor)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

When you get done with that let me know what you come up with. I used to know Kurt Kirkwood, and I am a huge fan of this era of the Puppets, but I hadn't considered that one. I'll do the same thing on my Fender Stringmaster and see what we come up with!

ReplyQuote
(@slickcat)
Estimable Member

No, it's not, but it can be done.

Right now I'm sliding on a Washburn dreadnought strung with 12s in Open E, using my Diamond Ultimate.

I've been working on transposing The Meat Puppets' Lake of Fire to Open E tuning. The power chord part's dead easy, of course. :D
Rico.... Meat Puppets??? :shock: I never would have pictured you playing that. Maybe the Nirvana version.... 8)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I like The Meat Puppets' version better, actually. That album (2nd Meat Puppets) is on my iPod. Great stuff!

ReplyQuote