Clear all

Alternate Tunings

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I was just thinking today that I use quite alot of tunings, seeing as how i'm a big fan of Zeppelin and The Tea Party, I was just curious since I only use one guitar for alternate tunings really, if there was if i should look out for anything (intonation, for example) going between tunings like, CGCGCE, CGCGCD, DGCGCD and DGCF#A#D (standard tuning down a step). Any help would be wonderful since this is a new guitar and I really want to make sure i take good care of it (it's a 12-string acoustic if anyone is curious :D )

Steve-0

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Don't worry, you won't hurt it. Be careful of raised tunings that add a lot of string tension; for some you need custom gauge strings.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Great, thanks. I'll probably be using my tele copy for alternate tunings also and i guess the same would apply too.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
 Long
(@long)
Eminent Member

You want to be especially careful, since 12 strings are notorious for necks warping quicker than normal.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, the 12-string part slipped by me. A lot of folks won't even tune a 12-string in standard tuning, without dropping it down a step or thereabouts. The problem's mainly of the bridge lifting and bellying the top on acoustics, I think.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote