Clear all

alternate tunings on your guitar neck

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@danooo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone have any insight on how alternate tunings affect your guitar neck. i have an epiphone studio custom and the first thing i thought when i looked at it was the neck is glued and not bolted in. i was watching a video on youtube for death letter and the guy was saying he was playing in open G over a different open tuning im not sure of due to long term effects on his neck.

Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

If you tune from standard to open A, you're increasing stress on the neck by tuning three strings a step higher. Same principle applies to open E. I tune to open G and open D, then capo up to A or E or whatever.

If I were setting up a guitar for open A or E, I'd probably change string gauges from .012s to .011s.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
 AC50
(@ac50)

Guess I'm safe with .010's and open E, huh?

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

AC, it's hard to generalize about what is "safe," because every guitar/player is different. All my guitars are set up for .012s with medium-high action in standard tuning -- you can fret or slide on any of them. So if I tuned up to open E I assume I'd stress the necks, and I'm sure I wouldn't like the stiffer action from the tighter strings. A lot depends on your neck, your set-up & your preference as a player. Warped necks are no fun, and I try to avoid them. 8)

And welcome to the forums!

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
 AC50
(@ac50)

Thanks for the welcome, Crow. 8)

ReplyQuote