15 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
geoo
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

What should I look for when thinking about buying a slide? Looks like there are so many different types.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Ricochet
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yep, there are lots of different types, and you'll probably end up owning a bunch of them. I've been sitting here this morning playing with my favorite, a Craftsman deep socket wrench. I've got another favorite, a big old Dunlop brass slide, sitting on the table. On electrics with light strings I like glass slides and often use bottlenecks I've cut myself. As a general rule, heavy slides work best with heavy strings and lighter slides with lighter strings. Different surface textures sound different, with rougher slides making more scratchy noise on the strings (that's part of the slide sound), and giving lots of sustain as you slide the slide up and down for vibrato; it's like bowing the string. Smoother slides sound smoother.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
dogbite
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

depends on what style of playing . if you will be sliding and fretting with fingers then obviously you need a slide with a hole for your finger.
I use a Dunlop glass slide for that.
I like the sound of glass on acoustic. gives a softer tone.

when I put my chrome metal Dunlop bullet shaped slide on acoustic I notice right away more brightness. it's a heavier no hole slide.

on my lap steels I always use the heavy chrome metal Dunlop. 8 0z.

Ive got a heavier slide for pedal steel.

there are fingerstyle slides. they are short and slip onto your sliding finger yet you can still bend that finger at the second knucle.

slides can be made form just about anything. each material chosen has it's own set of qualitites and short comings.

I have heard about Red Rajah slides. they are popular on another forum. Ive no experience with them.

so you need to decide what guitar and genre you will be playing.

my general rules:

acoustic...glass. hollow for fingerstyle.
electric....glass, chromed metal, brass. hollow for finger style, but can be
solid.
lap style electric...metal with a minimum of 6 oz. heavy is better.
you want a bullet or rounded tip for tipping to nail single
note runs. I use Dunlop. also, there is a bar with a groove on either side. made by Stevens. the grooves are for finger placement. it helps, but Ive sorta out grown it.

pedal steel guitar. definately a heavy 8oz or more chrome metal slide.

when using a sllide you let the weight press the string. that way you can really fly up and down the neck.
vibrato is an absolute technique you must employ to get the sweet notes , huge sustain, and natural sounding notes.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
Caevan O'Sh!te
(@caevan-oeshcte)
Trusted Member

What sort of guitar, and what sort of action and string-gauges and fretboard-radius, will you be sliding on?

I really like a concave-radiused bell-brass Dunlop "Harris Slide" that I have, for use on a Les Paul or any other guitar with a curved/radiused fretboard. Its shape conforms both to the arc described by the strings, and the radius of the frets beneath to better clear them without buzzing and clicking against them. It also allows for easier fretting-behind-the-slide techniques, as well.

If you are going to use a guitar with a fairly or very flat fretboard, then a straight-walled slide (like most) will work best.

I also really like the tone of Dunlop's blue ceramic "Moonshine Slide", and their real Pyrex glass models like Sonny landreth uses.

Man, Derek Trucks (and Duane Allman well before him) gets a greatsound with a real Coriciadin medicine-bottle; there are a variety of medocone-bottle style slides on the market, and I think I want one now!

People have used Craftsman socket-wrench sockets to great effect before, too (Lowell george of Little Feat, anyone?).

I personally don't care for wine-bottle-necks, but, that only means that we're a bad combination. "YMMV".

I've personally known folks- one guy in particular who will only go with these- who'll used Bic cigarette-lighters for slides...

The good news here is that slides are all relatively cheap, so it's easy and cool to have a small collection of them for varying tones, feels, styles, techniques, and guitars!

ReplyQuote
Grady Musick
(@grady-musick)

I use

Dunlop 222 Brass Slide
Dunlop Pyrex Glass
Diamond Red House Bottleneck slide

Diamond slides are the best Glass slides on the market.
Check them out here
http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com

Grady Musick
---------------
http://www.gradymusick.com

ReplyQuote
Big D.
(@big-d)
Eminent Member

Thanks Grady - good to see you here buddy :D !

My own personal preference is a 'Redhouse' glass bottleneck for glass-tone's, and a Craftsman 9/16 socket when i wanna get 'graunch' :wink: !

Slide On!

Big D.

http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com :)

ReplyQuote
Big D.
(@big-d)
Eminent Member

....this may be of some help - but please remember, many other slide players will have differing opinions :wink: ...

http://www.ukguitars.com/article/slide_guitar1.htm

Slide On!

Big D.

http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com :)

ReplyQuote
geoo
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Wow, sorry that I kind of abandoned my own post. Lets see

From reading it looks like I might need two slides. I'll be trying to use it on my Montana which is a dreadnought style solid top acoustic. The actions not real high, the strings are lights, not sure what gauge.

I'll also be trying to play with it on my Ovation. The actions a little higher but I think I have the same strings on this as my Montana.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
Ricochet
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

My own personal preference is a 'Redhouse' glass bottleneck for glass-tone's, and a Craftsman 9/16 socket when i wanna get 'graunch' :wink: !I'm right fond of "graunch," myself! :lol:

ReplyQuote
greybeard
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

My own personal preference is a 'Redhouse' glass bottleneck for glass-tone's, and a Craftsman 9/16 socket when i wanna get 'graunch' :wink: !I'm right fond of "graunch," myself! :lol:

Isn't that the guy that stole Xmas?

I dunno about Diamond - I've no real idea what I NEED in a slide (got a good idea what I WANT though :) ), so I emailed and asked for some advice. Doesn't seem like anyone cares enough to bother with a reply, let alone advice. :(

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
geoo
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the info. Today, I purchased a Dunlop Med Heavy Pyrex Glass slide.

Now to learn how to use ths silly thing.

Geoo

ReplyQuote
Big D.
(@big-d)
Eminent Member

Hey Graham! (Greybeard) i HAVE tried to reply to your request from our website...but the server keeps on telling me your mailbox is full & try again in three days time :cry: which i have done - twice!! Can you please get back to me with another, direct e-mail address where i can contact you.....i reckon it's down to e-mailing me direct from this website forum... there's probably many e-mails flying around at one time & clogging up the sysem. Please believe me when i say that in 5 1/2 years of trading on the 'world wide web' we've NEVER left anyone drifting around the ozone without trying our best to get in touch :wink:...I'd love to help you find your ideal bottleneck slide!

Please get back to me Graham...

Slide On!

Ian.

ReplyQuote
Ricochet
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I can attest that Ian (BigD) is well known for personal attention to customers. Everyone I know who's bought one of his slides has been very happy with both the product and the service. He's a good guy!

The main reason I don't own one personally is that I'm cheap as Scrooge! And as for bottlenecks, I do kinda like to cut my own and have a huge pile of nice wine bottles in the basement waiting to be cut. The sweet ladies in the hospital cafeteria save me the bottles from the bigwigs' meetings. I brought four more home tonight.
:D

ReplyQuote
Big D.
(@big-d)
Eminent Member

:mrgreen: Thanks Ric!....Hey c'mon - how can you put the blame on the poor old dears in the cafeteria for your used wine bottle stocks!! :lol: I tip my hat to all the slide players out there who make their own bottlenecks - a slide made and used by the owner always has some extra special 'Mojo' in my opinion :wink:

Got your message Graham - hope the e-mail reply went through safely!

Slide On!

Big D.

ReplyQuote
greybeard
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Yep,
now that we've found the nut in the windpipe, I'm going to get my Diamond slide RSN.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote