C F Bb Eb G C

24 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
29.2 K Views
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I know Josh Homme uses this tuning for a lot of his songs and I would really like to know how to get in this tuning but I only know how to standard tune.

Would anybody kind enough care to give me a step by step of how to get my guitar into :
C F Bb Eb G C? Or if you are really kind, teach me how I can know how to get any string to tuned to any note/tuning.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advace!

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

(@dustdevil)
Estimable Member

Get a chromatic tuner. It's under $20, and if you do any alternate tunings, it will pay off quickly.

John A.

They say only a pawnshop guitar can play the blues. An eBay one does it better. A guitar's bound to feel unloved if her owner plasters pictures of her over the internet for all to see and then sells her off to the highest anonymous bidder.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Is a chromatic tuner any different from the tuner I have:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-GA30-GuitarBass-Tuner?sku=210526 ?

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

That tuning is just a lower (by a major third) version of standard tuning. Using your standard tuner, fret each string at the 4th fret and tune as normal to E A D G B E. Barring or using a capo at the 4th fret will now give you standard tuning, but the open strings will be tuned to C F Bb Eb G C

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yes. Though that tuner's expanded to cover the notes on a 7 string guitar or 6 string bass, it's still limited to the notes of those standard tunings, with the option to flatten the whole thing by up to 5 half steps. A chromatic tuner has all twelve half steps of the chromatic scale on it. Much handier.

Since that tuning's a major third down from standard tuning, using the tuner you have with the option to flatten it four half steps will work. Your strings will be very slack unless you use a heavy gauge.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

It does appear to be a chromatic tuner. Look at the right hand corner of the window. When you hit your low E string it should say "6E," right? Tune down until it says "6C" and you'll be on your way. Do the same with the other strings - looking for "5F," 4Bb," etc...
"Bb" may be "A#" on your tuner.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

That tuning is just a lower (by a major third) version of standard tuning. Using your standard tuner, fret each string at the 4th fret and tune as normal to E A D G B E. Barring or using a capo at the 4th fret will now give you standard tuning, but the open strings will be tuned to C F Bb Eb G C
But I would tune to the third fret for the 2nd string correct.

- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Fourth fret, not third.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Korg uses G to denote "guitar" tuners (e.g. GA30) and C to denote "chromatic" (e.g. CA40)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Korg uses G to denote "guitar" tuners (e.g. GA30) and C to denote "chromatic" (e.g. CA40)
I figured that it wasn't chromatic, because I tried to tune down untie it said something other than 6E it never changed, and once I got lower than 430hz the needle stopped registering.

- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Do you own a capo? Another way to deal with this would be to place a capo on the fourth fret (because E is two steps (four half steps or frets) away from C) and then tune your guitar to standard using your regular tuner. You should find yourself tuning everything down. Then when it's in tune to standard, take your capo off and you'll be in CFBbEbGC. You may need to do some "fine tuning" once the capo's off but it should work fine.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

No, but when I go out tommorow to get my pedal, I'll pick one up.

Thanks! :lol:

Peace and happiness....yeah.....happiness!

- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

That's why I said "fret the strings at the fourth fret" - Because I wasn't sure if you had a capo. Apart from that, there's no difference between David's and my solution. Don't wait until tomorrow. You can tune it right now by fretting at the fourth fret and tuning as normal. (But be sure to buy one anyway tomorrow - a capo is well worth having).

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

That's why I said "fret the strings at the fourth fret" - Because I wasn't sure if you had a capo. Apart from that, there's no difference between David's and my solution. Don't wait until tomorrow. You can tune it right now by fretting at the fourth fret and tuning as normal. (But be sure to buy one anyway tomorrow - a capo is well worth having).
I know, I already achieved this tuning about a week and a half ago. :lol:
I just said I was going to pick a capo up.

- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

I know, I already achieved this tuning about a week and a half ago. :lol:
I just said I was going to pick a capo up.

Good for you

If you haven't used capos much, check out David's article:
https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/the-underappreciated-art-of-using-a-capo/

Well worth a read.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2