Clear all

Couple of String Questions

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi folks. I got my open G guitar all set up for sliding. Even got some musical notes out of it. Oddly enough, on the same day that I learned an entire song finger picking for the first time. :? :?:

Anyhow, a couple of questions.

First, do any of you use heavier strings on your guitars dedicated to playing slide?

Second and related to the first question, I've got some 12's for my accoustic that I'm not using. They're the D'Addario EJ16 Phospher Bronze. Would these work well for this application?

And Cat, if you're lurking, no. I'm not gonna try 8's on this. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've standardized on 12s, so the feel is very similar whether I'm playing acoustic or electric.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I've standardized on 12s, so the feel is very similar whether I'm playing acoustic or electric.

Cool. So next then, will the phosphor bronzes work well on my electric for slide and open G rock & blues? These are what I have. http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DAddario-EJ16-Phosphor-Bronze-Light-10Pack-Strings?sku=103941

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The phosphor bronzes will give a weaker signal in an electric pickup than nickel wound or other electric strings. The steel core wire is all that excites the magnetic pickup. I know some people who like that sound better, but I go the other way and use electric strings on acoustics and resos.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Ricochet. Gives me something to chew on. Probably not wanting to weaken the signal any. I'm already maxed out on pick-up height and it's still quite a ways away.

Roy

ReplyQuote