DADGAD tabs? (Treetop Flyer)

19 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
32.5 K Views
(@dustdevil)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Have been experimenting with DADGAD lately. I love the droning quality of this tuning.

Does anybody have a more complete tab (or Powertab) of "Treetop Flyer" by Steven Stills? All I have is a tab of the intro and chords with instructions to "Use Travis style picking throughout".

BTW, "Man of Constant Sorrow" in this tuning is easy to play, and sounds great even without the embellishments. I highly recommend looking at it.

Anything else out there that a Beg./Int. should look at before I go back to standard tuning? I'm really not that interested in Celtic jigs and waltzes. Something along the lines of "Treetop Flyer". Anyone here ever write something?

Thanks.

John A.
Midland, TX

John A.

They say only a pawnshop guitar can play the blues. An eBay one does it better. A guitar's bound to feel unloved if her owner plasters pictures of her over the internet for all to see and then sells her off to the highest anonymous bidder.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Being mainly a slider, I've never done much with DADGAD. But if you hunt around fingerpicking sites, you'll find all kinds of ideas for it. It's hardly limited to Celtic stuff.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Have been experimenting with DADGAD lately. I love the droning quality of this tuning.

Does anybody have a more complete tab (or Powertab) of "Treetop Flyer" by Steven Stills? All I have is a tab of the intro and chords with instructions to "Use Travis style picking throughout".

BTW, "Man of Constant Sorrow" in this tuning is easy to play, and sounds great even without the embellishments. I highly recommend looking at it.

Anything else out there that a Beg./Int. should look at before I go back to standard tuning? I'm really not that interested in Celtic jigs and waltzes. Something along the lines of "Treetop Flyer". Anyone here ever write something?

Thanks.

John A.
Midland, TX
Where did you get your tabs for these?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Dustdevil, there's a tab of "Treetop Flyer" here...

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=9999

but it sounds pretty similar to the one you've got....

RE...Man of Constant Sorrow....can you post the link to the tab you've got?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dustdevil)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Unfortunately, not much new to contribute here. My tab is from a link posted by Teleplayer324 in the easy song database forum.

http://www.fretplay.com/tabs/s/soggy_bottom_boys/i_am_a_man_of_constant_sorrow-tab.shtml

There is a powertab version out there but I can't tell if it's in DADGAD or not. (Appears not)

The guy who wrote the tab at the above link is right. It just doesn't sound the same unless you use DADGAD. It also makes the fingering very simple.

Keep in mind I'm only a beginner, so what sounds good for me probably doesn't cut it with most of you guys, but what I do is take the chords, vary my rhythm, and do a lot of partial chord strumming or the bottom 4 or 5 strings. This gets me something that approximates the harder driving, strummier track 5 on the "O Brother" album vs. the more delicate band version.

The above tab does include Travis-style picking for those of you who can do it well. It's well worth a try...

The Treetop Flyer link is what I have. I was just curious to see how the transitions between the chords worked in Travis-style picking in DADGAD for this song. It's a bit beyond my ability at this point, but it would be a great challenge to see how far I could get. Besides, everyone needs one song that nobody else can play. Not too many "Treetop Flyer's" out here because of the weird tuning.

John A.
Midland, TX

John A.

They say only a pawnshop guitar can play the blues. An eBay one does it better. A guitar's bound to feel unloved if her owner plasters pictures of her over the internet for all to see and then sells her off to the highest anonymous bidder.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I believe Jimmy Page played White Summer and Black Mountain side in DADGAD tuning... definitely not for a beginner though, but I think there's some licks and riffs that are worth checking out.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@fantasticsound)

Hey Mr. Ricochet! Hadn't heard from you in a while before your post about this forum. Good to hear from you again. But enough catching up...

Anyone here like Kenny Loggins or Paul Simon?

I worked up the Loggins version of PS's St. Judy's Comet from the Return To Pooh Corner album right after it was released. It's relatively easy and played in DADGAD. Neat lullabye to sing to your kids. Personally, I like it a lot better as Kenny did it than Paul Simon, even though I'm a huge fan of Paul's.

I'll be glad to set it to virtual paper if anyone wants to learn it.

That's my opinion. It oughta be yours.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Hey, fantasticsound, welcome!

I like 'em both, of course. Bet lots of folks'd like to see how you play those.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@humvee)

More Songs in DADGAD:
Medley (4 Way Street Album, by Neil Young) (The Loner, Cinnamon Girl, Down By the River)
Black Queen (Another Stephen Stills song also on 4 Way Street)

You can easily find these tabs by googleing them.

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I think Neil does some of those in double drop D

ReplyQuote
(@fantasticsound)

I think Neil does some of those in double drop D

Neil Young... Not me. ;-)

That's my opinion. It oughta be yours.

ReplyQuote
(@jwindol)

That's probably about as good a tab as you're gonna find for TTF around but you gotta understand Stills don't play it twice the same way. Sometimes in DADDAD sometimes DADGAD. Sometimes open D. If you want to see something interesting, pull up Pierre Bensusan and check out some of his music. He's considered the master of DADGAD and some even call it Bensusan tuning. But, Yes Jimmy page liked it a lot. Did a lot of work with it. Sungha Hwa ( I think) is a real pro with it at eleven years old. But it's real Julliard egghead stuff, A real impressor and not that difficult to learn. Google up a chord chart if you want.

ReplyQuote
(@srodell)

Hey Mr. Ricochet! Hadn't heard from you in a while before your post about this forum. Good to hear from you again. But enough catching up...

Anyone here like Kenny Loggins or Paul Simon?

I worked up the Loggins version of PS's St. Judy's Comet from the Return To Pooh Corner album right after it was released. It's relatively easy and played in DADGAD. Neat lullabye to sing to your kids. Personally, I like it a lot better as Kenny did it than Paul Simon, even though I'm a huge fan of Paul's.

I'll be glad to set it to virtual paper if anyone wants to learn it.

I'd really like to see how you played the Kenny Loggins version of St. Judy's comet.. A great favorite of mine.
Can you send a tab over.? Thanks.. Steve

ReplyQuote
(@jrf008)

I'd love a copy of the tab for Kenny Loggins St. Judy's comet. Could you send it my way too?

ReplyQuote
(@gergamo)

I too would love to see the tablature for Kenny Loggin's St. Judy's Comet!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2