Drop C

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@andy-kirkbride)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,

One of my favorite bands, Cradle of Filth, plays a lot of songs in drop C. All my guitars have standard, from the factory string set-ups. These guitars being a PRS Paul Allender SE, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson flying V and a BC Rich Warlock. My question is, can I use one of these guitars for drop C without ruining the nut due to bigger string gauges? Or should I just buy a Baritone or 7 string guitar? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Andy.

Gibson Ls Paul Studio (Black)
Gibson Flying V (Faded Cherry)
B.C. Rich Warlock (Green Tribal)
PRS Paul Allender SE (Purple Sunburst, Bat inlays)
Dean V Acoustic

Peavey VK 100 Head
Peavey Half Stack

Digitech DeathMetal Pedal
Boss Multi-Effect Pedal

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I'm fairly sure that the PRS will take bigger guages no problems, which could cause a few hitches in the other examples.

My PRS's seem to have ample space, or room to spare. Oh, and Paul uses .88 tortex picks made for him, that's neat. 8)

And the PRS SE sig model with Dragon Pickups (AWESOME!!!) would probably have the right vibe and sound fat neck too, eh? :lol:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/paul_allender_of_cradle_of_filth_developing_the_style.html

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Andy, it'd help if you told us what gauge strings are on your guitar(s) now - if they're sporting 9's or 10's, shouldn't be too much trouble to go to 11's or 12's. There's usually a bit of room in the nut slots - what gauge are you thinking of moving up to?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

"Sawing" the larger strings back and forth in the nut slots will quickly loosen them up if they're a bit tight.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote