Clear all

Finally did it!

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, I just ordered that new tailpiece for my Rouge Spider Resonator. Mine broke clean apart at the bend a little over a year ago. The part was $11.50 but the shipping is like $7 so I have been putting it off. Not cause it cost alot, it was the price to shipping ratio that had me hung up. :lol: I have a metal slide but am thinking of looking into a glass one. I should invest in some metal finger picks as well to do this thing right.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

does yer wife know you been payin' for a piece o' tail? :lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry couldn't resist :mrgreen:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Way to go, TR!

Know what you mean about that shipping to product price ratio. I think about that often.

Yeah, it'll sound better with fingerpicks than bare fingers. No reason you can't also do some flatpicking on that thing, of course.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Got her all back together and working! I should get some new strings but the 13's that were on it when the tailpiece popped are still fairly lively. I have to start listening to some old blues stuff to give me ideas now. Open G is an easy tuning to start with. I got some Robert Johnson tracks here on the computer.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Most of those aren't in the key of G as released, but Open G works well for playing most of them.

(There's a theory that Robert Johnson's songs, most or all, were recorded on a disk spinning at slower than normal speed, so when played "normally" are at a higher pitch and faster tempo than when he played them. Most of them really sound better to me digitally slowed down to G pitch, but some sound too slow. He may have been using Open A or some such. Likely we'll never know.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Open G, TR? I know the kind of music you like - do yourself a favour and find some old (pre-1978 or so) tracks by Nazareth. Manny Charlton's a great rock slide guitarist, and Nazareth managed to put out singles that did fairly well in the pop charts, whilst putting out LP's that did fairly well in the prog rock/ heavy rock charts back then. I think five of their first six hit singles featured a slide solo from Manny.....most of 'em in open G.

Seriously, well worth a listen. If you're into ZZ Top and AC/DC and Kiss and/or Status Quo, Nazareth WILL make you want to pick up a guitar and rock.....

One to check out? Their version of Woody Guthrie's "Vigilante Man." Bluesy to start with, developing into rock and almost encroaching into heavy metal. I repeat, Manny Charlton's a great guitarist.....if you like Billy Gibbons, you'll like Manny. Similar, but different - but not that different!

Here's a couple of youtube links.....

Hair Of The Dog - spot the "Day Tripper" riff!

Bad Bad Boy

This Flight Tonight - bet Joni Mitchell never imagined it done like this!

I can't find a version of them doing Vigilante Man - shame, it builds from a slow blues to a flat out rocker - but I'll keep looking. In the meantime, enjoy one of the best rock bands ever to come out of the UK, er Scotland!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Oh I'm familiar with Nazareth Vic. 8) Hair Of The Dog has been a part of my repitiore for a long time. I was just thinking since I'll be using a spider resonater that something a little more mellow might suit it is all.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Oh I'm familiar with Nazareth Vic. 8) Hair Of The Dog has been a part of my repitiore for a long time. I was just thinking since I'll be using a spider resonater that something a little more mellow might suit it is all.

For some reason, I just can't see you doing "mellow," TR - I have this vivid mental image of you cranking out hot riffs on an LP, kinda like you couldn't imagine Angus, sans SG, picking away on an acoustic.....

Back in the 70's, I once saw Nazareth three times in four nights! They opened their UK tour in Liverpool on the Sunday night, played Manchester on the Monday - I live half-way between the two cities, they're about half-an-hour's train ride from me - and my friend and I got talking to two girls from Preston both nights. Nazareth were playing Preston Guild Hall on the Wednesday, so we had to make the effort, didn't we! Ah, good times!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

For some reason, I just can't see you doing "mellow," TR - I have this vivid mental image of you cranking out hot riffs on an LP, kinda like you couldn't imagine Angus, sans SG, picking away on an acoustic.....
Well Vic, it don't come easy .... :lol: Sounds like those Nazareth concerts were a good time. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It's great fun to bang out loud, raucous stuff on a reso. That's what they were invented for.

My tricone distorts when played very hard. Reminds me of a cranked amp.

ReplyQuote