Clear all

Finally going to start learning slide guitar

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yea so I got a glass slide by Dunlop - http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-202-Pyrex-Glass-Guitar-Slide?sku=364042&rec=product_A :D

I have the Yamaha Steel String (F310) whose action stays a little higher than usual. So, I am thinking of starting to learn some slidin' on it.

Any tips, suggestions on how to start will be helpful.

Thanks,

Rahul

Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

Guitar is an individualistic instrument -- you can do anything you want with it -- but with slide it's even more so. This is what has helped me:

- Learning to mute strings with both hands makes single'string playing easier. Mute back of the slide with the sliding hand and with the palm of the picking hand.

- Try different slides. They are cheap, compared to guitars anyway, and different weights & materials will give you different information from the strings.

- For a couple weeks or so, play everything with the slide. Everything in your repertoire. Sometimes it will work, sometimes not, but you'll learn how to handle the slide.

- Put the picks down! At least try playing with bare fingers/nails. This lets you mute strings with your picking fingers & gives different sound possibilities using flesh, nail or a combination.

- Listen to every kind of slide playing you can get your hands on.

As always, your mileage may vary. Have fun!

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

There are likely some basic slide lessons on this site.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote