Heavy resonators!

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@dicey1)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello all
I bought a Fender Steelbody resonator and had to bring it back after a couple of weeks cos it was SO heavy
I have now bought this " cheapie" which was advertised as Imperial type Parlour resonator but actually has NO name on it anywhere!
Anyway it's ok for learning on and I am learning thru Tom Feldman teaching Bye and Bye by Blind Willie Johnson. I am really enjoying the slide and would be probably intermediate level on my main acoustic
My question is has anyone tried the Republic Highway 61 travel size resonators as I am heading to the states in July and was thinking of getting one if I keep at the Blind Willie type stuff???
Also, is there beginner slide tab for other "moody type" songs like you often here in movie scores???
Thanks in advance and oh...one last question
Do you find that your interest in slide starts to take over from your other styles that you play( or TRY to play!)
Thanks
Ps how do I insert a picture of my new "cheapie" reso???

(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I have been playing my Regal resonator for a few years now almost exclusively. Oh ya, its a heavy one!!! But it is steel so that kind of comes with the game. I chuckle when people talk about how heavy their Les pauls are. :D Ive never seen a Parlor resonator before. Sounds pretty cool, because I do love the small body parlor guitars. As for slide. Ive had a love of slide forever. I did put it on the back burner though so I can learn how to play... I guess normal would be the term.

If your trying to post pictures, the picture has to be loaded on a diferent web hosting site. Once its posted you can attach the picture here. I use Photobucket, but there are many others out there.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@dicey1)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply and now I have traded in the parlour for a Gretsch 9200 wooden body which is much lighter and easier because of the normal size as we'll!
I am off to the States in July and would love to buy a Republic Highway 61 travel size reso, check it out on YouTube!
I am going thru a major "time for guitar" period at the moment and am playing all sorts of things and using the Tom Feldman DVD on the Slide of Blind Willie Johnson.
I also have a cheapie electric tuned to Open G and trying the Elmore James licks for fun
I love the moody type slide that you hear in the movies so if you have any tips for me please pass them on and thanks again
Guitar Time!

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I cant help you learn anything, But if you haven't already, check out Ry Cooder "Dark is the night" Sounds like the style your looking for.

Paul B

ReplyQuote