Clear all

How to think in other tunings?

20 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

LOL!

I'd probably miss my memory, if I could remember what it was like.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@frankyl)
Eminent Member

It's one way to do it. Open G is identical to standard on strings 2-4. Notes on the other strings are 2 frets closer to the bridge.

we all know what we mean when we write it, but the second sentence above is ambiguous, as it doesn't say which notes -- those for open G or for standard tuning. this might confuse newbies who are not that familiar with the fretboard.
Ah. Ah! I blame finally being far enough along to have known what he was saying, and not wanting to apply my job-required "sussing out ambiguities" skill here.

Beg your pardon for not catching what you were getting at. I could certainly see a newb - and some not so newbs - being confused there. Hopefully, it's clearer than mud for everyone now.

Where's the thread starter? Has all of this made it better or worse? Does anyone need to re-explain?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

yeah. we all have our ways of thinking. my experience didn't stop me from interpreting Ric explanation as inconsistent. I only realized the ambiguity when you chimed in. undoubtedly, the horse is dead, and the newbies are chuckling ... and well informed.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@alien)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Wow... what did I start. Anyway here's what I was talking about, using my favorite pentatonic pattern

For me, mangling the standard patterns seems to work pretty well for drop D, double drop D and open G. The patterns come out messier in open D. (I ditched the idea of 3 notes per string.)

Note charts are a big help for learning the neck in an intellectual way. But music happens in real time, when you're jamming you can't stop and look things up on a chart. Another nice resource to have is muscle memory, but that takes time to develop. For now I'm just looking for a quick 'n dirty cheat to get the notes out.

Maybe I should point out that I'm a hobbyist and I practice 5-10 hours per week. I've still got a lot to learn about standard tuning. I think instinctive knowledge of the neck in multiple tunings is for professionals. Guitars are complicated.

Another thing I'm looking for is sort of a "standard method" for trying out a new tuning without investing too much effort. I messed around on that website for awhile and to be honest some of those tunings seem... uhhh... "specialized". It would be fun to at least try them all out though, ya never know...

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

one cool thing about using open and alternate tunings: they can help you achieve a new sound because they break the fretboard playing patterns you've developed in standard tuning. continuing to follow the pent scales the way you've outlined does not take advantage of that new sound possibility. recommend you think about open string and chord-based soling possibilities in additions to the pentatonics,

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2