Notifications
Clear all

Idea for a "low strung" guitar

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@breadbasketbomb)
Topic starter  

I have an idea for a guitar tuned to standard tuning. However, instead of the key going higher and down the strings, how about the first three strings, GBE, be tuned an octave lower. For the purpose of preventing string snapping, I will have the guitar tuned tuned a step lower, then use a capo to bring it up to EADGBE.

I had the idea when searching up the "high strung" Nashville tuning, which has the four lower strings tuned an octave up. Any thoughts?

(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

Try it and see how it works. I would guess that they would be VERY loose on the guitar. It might make it challenging to do much with them.

ReplyQuote
(@breadbasketbomb)
Topic starter  

Try it and see how it works. I would guess that they would be VERY loose on the guitar. It might make it challenging to do much with them.
I'll get the necessary strings... which would be wasteful considering I will have to remove them when I'm done with the experiment. Then maybe I'll play with the trebles.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It shouldn't be loose at all - he'll just use 2 6th strings, 2 5ths and 2 4ths.

By tuning down a step, the G string would be tuned to F, a half step higher than its design. The 2nd and 3rd strings would be tuned to A and D, exactly as designed. Since the 6th, 5th and 4th strings will be tuned a whole step lower, the overall effect would be less tension, but not all that much. Certainly not enough to make them floppy.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@breadbasketbomb)
Topic starter  

Well, I received a free crap guitar fitted with strings in good condition. I got rid of the bass strings, and used them to replace my trebles. It was awkward, as I have to reverse the strings, as the Low E is now the third string, yet I have to tie it up to what is saved for the High E. The Second string fits snuggly at the middle, and the first, goes to the farthest machine head. It's a little awkward, but manageable and nothing dangerous.

My tuning is DGCFAD.

So, what do I have to say about it? Well, it's very bassy :P. When performing with chords, imagine the lower three string repeating. As such, it is more suitable for more down, or romantically sad songs; happier songs sounds rather weird. I wouldn't play "Wish you were here", and songs like "Heart of Gold" don't sound bad. But the Godfather Theme is more suited, though it can't be played exactly the same since the third string is deeper than the fourth, so if picking, you will have to do a bit of adjustment.

Overall, I'd say it's an interesting tuning that requires a bit of experimenting- I'm pretty armature at playing.

ReplyQuote