Clear all

I'm on Fire - DADGAD version

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@dustdevil)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys. I really don't think this belongs in the "Easy Songs" category, so that's why it's here.

I was back in DADGAD touching up a song I was thinking about posting in the "Sunday" group, messing around, and came up with this while I was bored. I wouldn't say it rivals Springsteen's version, or needs to be performed in a crowd, but I thought the droning sound of the tuning might fit the mood of the song. Treat it as a little diversion from the Irish jigs and reels (if that's what you play...). I promise no profound earthshaking life-altering experience here. Just 2:30 of a little amusement...
Enjoy.

I'm On Fire
Bruce Springsteen

Tuning: DADGAD (Arr. by Dustdevil)

D5 [000200] D [004200] Gadd9 [x00020] Bm7 [x04420] A5 [x02202]

Capo 3 (or not. I like the D version better. Lower and more haunting)

Intro.: D5

D D5
Hey little girl is your daddy home
D D5 Gadd9
Did he go away and leave you all alone
Bm7
I got a bad desire
Gadd9 A5 D5
Ohhhh, oh,oh I'm on fire

D D5
Tell me now baby is he good to you
D D5 Gadd9
Can he do to you the things that I do
Bm7
I can take you higher
Gadd9 A5 D5
Ohhhh, oh, oh I'm on fire

Instrumental: Bm7 Bm7 D5 D5

D5 Gadd9
Sometimes its like someone took a knife baby
D5
Edgy and dull and cut a six-inch valley
Bm7
Through the middle of my soul

D D5
At night I wake up with the sheets soaking wet
D
And a freight train running through the
D5
Middle of my head
Gadd9 Bm7
Only you can cool my desire
Gadd9 A5 D5
Ohhhh, oh, oh I'm on fire (Repeat 3 times)

Outro: Bm7 Bm7 D5 D5 Bm7 Bm7 D5 D5

John A.

They say only a pawnshop guitar can play the blues. An eBay one does it better. A guitar's bound to feel unloved if her owner plasters pictures of her over the internet for all to see and then sells her off to the highest anonymous bidder.

(@badlands53)
Trusted Member

This arrangement is great. Catchy and haunting at the same time. Is the capo on 3 on the "Born in the USA" track? I always thought this song was in E.

Well, if you can't make it, stay hard, stay hungry, stay alive, if you can, and meet me in a dream of this hard land.

ReplyQuote
(@dustdevil)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Not sure what the original is in. A lot of tabs I saw had it in E with a capo on the 2nd fret. That would put it in F#. Regardless, I still screwed up because that would mean you would need a capo on the 4th fret to get to F#.

I just liked it in D so much, I didn't spend that much time trying to match the record. In D, it just had that creepy sound that fits the lyrics so well, IMO. The A5 provides a little sparkle to keep the whole song from being one long drone-fest.

John A.

They say only a pawnshop guitar can play the blues. An eBay one does it better. A guitar's bound to feel unloved if her owner plasters pictures of her over the internet for all to see and then sells her off to the highest anonymous bidder.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, unless you want to play along with a record, there's no reason to have to stay in the same key. Do it the way it suits you.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@badlands53)
Trusted Member

No need to stay in the same key, but Bruce gets down to the bottom of his range on the vocals on this one and I know I would have a bunch of trouble hitting those notes in D (or even E). Just some info I thought I'd throw out there.

Well, if you can't make it, stay hard, stay hungry, stay alive, if you can, and meet me in a dream of this hard land.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Just wanted to give a thank you to Dustdevil for this arrangement. I've taken your ideas and slightly changed things around (playing in open D instead of DADGAD) and come up with an arrangement that I'm putting in my performance repertoire. Couldn't have done it without you!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@dustdevil)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Great! Glad to hear it sparked something. That just made my day. Good luck with it.

(But we all know you could have done it without me... ) :wink:

John A.

ReplyQuote