Clear all

Impulsive GAS #2

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Well, I couldn't let Ricochet outGAS me :wink: , so today I ordered this Wesley 'Tele-Paul' that I stumbled across last night on eBay... :D

Never heard of the brand before, but a little googling showed that it's a British company run by a Guitar Institue of Technology (London) graduate plus a former Eurythmics guitarist, so I guess these are people who at least care about the guitars... Reviews on Harmony Central are very positive, even coming from experienced players, and the negative stuff can be fixed in an hour (crappy pots, bad shielding, sloppy filing of the nut). On the positive side, from a bottleneck point of view, is that they describe the neck as "big and chunky" and the pickups as "very aggressive" - the general tone leaning more towards a Les Paul with P-90s than a Tele. And then there's the price,- including shipping from England to Norway plus insurance it cost me £124/$245......
This might be fun,- I'll report more when I get it. 8)

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That's cool!

Dogbite, you're up...

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

woof. that guitars reminds me of the tele thinline. I have played those and they are aggressive.
it should be a great guitar for your arsenal Steinar.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@houndog)
Eminent Member

Nice piece Steinar,
and for so little hysefilet, tempted to buy the Firebrand one...let us know how you get on with it please.

adios,
Lovat

..play it..I just hit the damn thing...

Groovecats...The dawg at the bottom end

Houndog Fraser sliding about

ReplyQuote
(@slickcat)
Estimable Member

Sweet! Thats a great looking guitar.....I want one too! :(
Congrats Steinar 8)

Slip___Sliding___Away__________

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

It arrived in Norway this Friday, so with a little luck I'll have it on Tuesday. It was shipped from the UK with Parcelforce Worldwide and I have no idea what courier they use in Norway, all tracking ends once it arrives at the 'destination country'. If it's the regular postal service I probably won't have it until the end of the week...

I have a good feeling about this guitar, for some reason.. I'll post a review and perhaps an mp3 later..

8)
Steinar

Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Looks like it'll be a nice player! How could you go wrong with a thinline Tele with P-90s on it? :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Got the "Tele-Paul" today, and there's two good things to say about it: The looks (from a distance) and the neck. Besides that it has "made in China" written all over it. The nut is narrower than the neck, not that it matters but it looks really cheap, and the pickups are wired out of phase so I get a thin 'plunky' sound when using both. There are also some funny flaws in the finish here and there..

The good thing is the neck,- it's a big fat neck, perfect for slide and the frets seems to be well done. The guitar also looks absolutely gorgeous, it's darker than the photo and the headstock is in the same finish as the body, not as red as in the photo.
It's also very heavy, heavier than my Epi Les Paul, which was a big surprise considering the 'bass side' of the body is hollow.

I'll probably replace the bridge pickup with a humbucker I've got from an Asher EH Junior lap steel, plus also replace the nut. Or at least file the nut properly... Shielding was non existent, as expected, so that also needs to be taken care of. I'll also replace all the wiring while I'm at it, some of it was real shabby and only covered with tape (!!)...

It's not a bad guitar considering the price I paid, but judging from my latest "Chinese" guitars (the Epi Les Paul and the Asher Junior) I was a bit disappointed, this is the kind of standard you got from China 5-6 years ago.. But as long as the neck is good the rest can be fixed, and it's such a special guitar that I think it's worth it to spend the extra time and money..

Steinar

Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Here it is in my "portrait chair", as you can see the upgrade process has already started (I've replaced the chrome knobs with better looking speed knobs):

It really is beautiful! If it hadn't been for the good looks and the perfect neck (for slide) I'm not sure I would have bothered going through all the modifying. But after playing it a bit more I've decided to route extra room for humbuckers, install the two pickups I removed from the Asher Junior, replace the electronics, and have a new nut made. That should do it.. 8)

Steinar

Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, you can fix all that stuff, not too big a deal.

ReplyQuote