63 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
21.3 K Views
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

yeah, we are what we play.
good thing we do not play tubas. :roll:
I probably should play my Super Jumbo less, then.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Uhmmmmm, I don't know how to say this...... it's quite embarassing... or maybe just funny.... :?

The saga of the Stratoslider continues, or you may call it a soap opera: "The Norski Who Searched Restlessly For His Favorite Bottleneck Slide Guitar".......
Here's the latest version:

Uh, yeah yeah yeah I know, the Stratoslider is not a strat anymore, it's a Les Paul.... :oops:
But admit it - it's the most beautiful Les Paul you've ever seen, right? :cool:

And, uh, yes it's an Epiphone.....

I think I'll let the Saga of the Stratoslider end here, I'm broke...... :lol:

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

oh my my....you went to the other side...no Fender product there. if the new slide 'o paul had a sunburst I would say that you have begun channeling Peter Green.
in looking at old Harmonys for a lap slide conversion I have read that arch tops are not great choices for sliders. I would have to assume they were talking about the old non electric jazz boxes. there, the bridge and tailpiece are vastly different than the tuneomatic bridges.

still, I detect a radias. any troubles from that.

and, yes, gold is beautiful. what an awesome slider.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

in looking at old Harmonys for a lap slide conversion I have read that arch tops are not great choices for sliders.

I've been sliding around a bit on my small bodied no-name acoustic archtop, and the problem is that they don't have as much sustain as regular flattops. The tone is quite cool and 'bluesy', but I miss the sustain....

Oh, and the Lespauloslider isn't gold, it's a very blonde flametop with a slight burst to it.... A little more blond than the classic "honeyburst" which I believe is the 'Peter Green' finish. Perfect for Norski summer nights.... :wink:

Steinar

Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

it IS more blond. so you have a true northern european guitar.
les norse!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

So Les is more?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

Sounds pretty cool
And here's a couple of pics of the happy owner, for the occasion pretending to be a member of a Southern Rock band... :lol:

I think any southern rock band would be lucky to have you. I've heard your work, and it seems to me you've done some incredible things with slide and lap steel

Rock On

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks SGinCYQX! :)

To the regular viewers of "The Saga Of The Stratoslider" - it's not over yet, the powers that be decided to install one last episode! :shock:

Here's the latest,- a '98 'Limited Edition' with a great flame top in a beautiful deep green finish (as usual the pic doesn't do it justice). Big fat chunky neck which makes it especially well suited for slide. Some annoying buzzing on open strings were fixed by filling the nut with super glue and filing new slots, and the previous owner (in England) had already replaced the tuners and pickup selector.

Funny to notice the difference in acoustic tone between this one and the blond model - the blond has a very bright, almost a little metallic twang to it, while this one has a deep full sound. The colors of these two guitars kinda describes their sound pretty well.... If/when I decide to replace the pickups on these two I'll probably use Duncan "Seth Lover" on the blond, to give it a little more warmth, and Duncan "Pearly Gates" on the green to give it some more aggressive top end...
I'll probably also install electronic 'upgrade kits' and TonePros bridges from Specialty Guitars. That should make them about as good as 'the real deal' (or even better?), while still being relatively 'cheap'..

Now I seriously need to sell something! :oops:

:lol:
Steinar

Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

let me get this straight. you have two sliders? one green and one gold?
no wonder I have not seen you post in a while.

interesting: does color color the sound?

nice gear man.

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Uh, I have to admit that at this point I'm a bit confused myself.... :?

I've been playing and playing and playing some more, going back and forth between both Les Pauls and the Mighty Mite Strat, and after playing them even more I've come to the conclusion that I'll use the green LP for slide, the blond LP for regular playing (and a little slide in standard tuning) and sell the Mighty Mite (I need to sell one, can't afford to keep all three...).

The problem with selling the Mighty Mite is that many people seem to be skeptical to a self made "no name" guitar, no matter how good it is. I've singled it out for sale because of the "modern" neck, I can't get used to that extremely wide neck and the massive jumbo frets, I'm too old for that, I'm no shredder... :lol:

Steinar

Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'm certainly no shredder, but jumbo frets and a wide neck sounds good to me for slide or open tunings....then again, I've got pretty big hands.

I have two acoustic guitars - an SPT I bought off Nick, and an Encore with wired bridge. The Encore is my weapon of choice for acoustic slide, that has a wider neck and bigger frets.....trouble is, no cutaway. The SPT does have a cutaway, but it also has a nice low action and I haven't got a the delicate touch you need for playing slide with a low action. Methinks I need another acoustic.....higher action and cutaway! Even though I've already got my eye on a nice Squier thin-line Tele which I want to keep in open G....

Ahhhh, those gas pains - they never go away do they!!! Just when you think you've got enough guitars, there's always one more you NEED....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I'm certainly no shredder, but jumbo frets and a wide neck sounds good to me for slide or open tunings....

I agree, in general, the problem with this is that it's also relatively thin compared to the width - think "Ibanez" - so there's not much hold underneath that wide fretboard. I miss the support of a deeper and rounder neck...

You can have it for £230 plus shipping.. :wink:

Steinar

Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@bluenotefla)
Estimable Member

Tell me how much in U.S Dollars with shipping. I like the way the axe looks and if it's what you used to record the soundclikc project I like the sound. My e-mail addres is [email protected]. Thank Frank

Life is not what you did. It's what you are doing.

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Frank - you got mail...

Steinar

Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5