Clear all

New book on open tunings for slide and lap steel

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Andy Volk, the author of the great "Lap Steel Guitar" book is out with a new book where he has collected open tunings for bottleneck slide and lap steel. I took the liberty of copying his post from another forum, though it might interest some of you:

Slide Rules - my new book on lap steel tunings is finally done and at the printers!
It will be ready to ship on or about June 8th.

After 20 years of collecting tunings I had a huge collection of web page printouts, web BB posts, books, articles, yellowed mimeographs, personal letters, etc. that I wanted to consolidate in one place. As a player, I wanted all that info in one place and able to fit in a guitar case. As a designer, I didn't want to see more tables - I wanted to see the information displayed in a very graphic, visual, easy to understand manner. Hopefully, I've achieved it. I tried to incorporate the many good suggestions I received from both living room players and pros.

The book includes more than 70 tunings but not every single possible tuning or personal variation. I wanted to keep things manageable and practical for the largest number of musicians.

Price: $10.95 + $2 shipping to USA. Email for shipping to Canada, Europe, Asia, etc.

Here's my webpage about the book with sample pages & ordering info:

http://www.volkmedia.com/Volkmedia.com/Slide_Rules_Book.html

Thanks for looking!

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Ought to be a handy reference. Anything written by Andy Volk would be worth having, IMO. I'll have to hop over there and place an order.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've never actually heard of Andy, but this book sounds like something I could use.

Steinar, here's a suggestion for you - you're a pretty experienced and accomplished slide player. If you're buying Andy's book, why not write a review of it for Guitarnoise? Your opinion carries a bit of weight around here, and I'm pretty sure a good balanced review from you might help those of us who NEED a book on slide tunings, etc, to decide whether this one's worth the money.

What do you think?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hm... yeah, that should be doable... 8)

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote