Clear all

New Johnson Steel

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Bought a cheap Stevens tone bar on eBay. Just came in. It's blister packed on a blue card prominently labeled "AXL PARTS & ACCESSORIES" and on the back the bar code sticker says "Johnson Stevens Steel Gtr Slide."

Who knew they made steels? It's not on any of their several websites. Nor is there any indication that they make electric steel guitars, though they've long made squareneck spider and tricone resos that a Stevens bar would be appropriate for.

It's a nicely made and finished piece, made as these usually are of brass with nickel plating. I can tell because there's a tiny chip at one end, far away from the playing surface. Engraved (probably laser etched) "AXL" on both ends.

The Chinese are full of surprises, aren't they?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

How'z about a pic???

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Oh, all right. One Stevens bar looks like another...

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

My Lord, it's beautimiss.

Can you play regular string height with one of thoses? Like a glass or metal slide?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm sure you could, but it ties up three fingers holding it. Far better suited to lap style playing than to bottleneck style where you'd want to be able to fret. It's light enough that it doesn't take an extremely high action to keep from bottoming the strings out if you're reasonably gentle with it.

Ran $9.95 plus shipping, which was under $5. Not terribly costly to experiment with.

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

Is that Axl Rose's signature model? :?

:lol:
Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

LOL!

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

On a more serious note - how's the surface? When I had my first 'battle' with lap steel, in '99 - '00, the Stevens bar was the only one I could find. Then when I started playing again in '03 I bought three Stevens bars and they were all "pre-scratched" and totally useless. How ironic if these Chinese copies have a stronger and smoother surface than the originals..

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

It's mirror shiny and slick as a whistle. Haven't played with it much, obviously, but can't see any scratches from it. Seems good and hard.

What sort of looks like scratches on the pictures is where I just gave the fingerprints a quick wipe on my shirt for the pics. Left a few streaks. Didn't quite get the blue card all the way back down in the plastic blister either, I see.

ReplyQuote