Clear all

New slides....

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

So, my house - or at least the rear half - is a complete and utter mess. The bathroom (it's downstairs!) is basically a crater. We had a plumber in yesterday, putting some new pipes in. I made him a cuppa - as you do - took it into him and found a length of copper piping on the floor. Couldn't resist trying it on my ring finger, it fitted nicely - so I asked him if there was any chance he could trim it down a little?

He left that piece as it was, and cut me a couple of pieces to the perfect length for me...

They sound, and feel, absolutely great on the electric - not too great on the acoustic, but hey, I've still got a plexiglass slide for that.....and I've also got another couple of feet of copper piping to play around with.

I don't know how much slides cost in, say, the USA - but over here, they're bloody expensive! £10 for a piece of glass, about £12-13 for brass or chrome...in dollars that's about $15-18. So getting a couple of slides for the cost of a couple of cups of tea strikes me as being well into bargain territory...a couple of hours with the power saw, and I've got about another 10-12 slides. And I have quite a few friends who play guitar - I guess it's up to me to pass a few of them on, right? It's the honourable thing to do - cost me nothing, so I'm duty bound to pass 'em on for free....

Got to say, I LOVE my new slides......that's what you call a RESULT!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

I totally agree, they are expensive over here, but you have definitely got yourself a bargain, well done. Duty bound to pass them on? Yeah :D

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Hmm the price of copper is so high here people break into houses just to rip out the copper piping to sell. There were a couple that got caught a couple weeks ago they didn't even bothr to shut off the water they ripped out with the water still running.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@minorkey)
Reputable Member

I totally agree, they are expensive over here, but you have definitely got yourself a bargain, well done. Duty bound to pass them on? Yeah :D
Yea man, spread the joy!
Good result! So hows the bathroom looking?

If I go blind guide me. If I go deaf shoot me
http://mymusictree.blogspot.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Bathroom - or shower room, as it is now - is great! Everything brand new, and all fitted to the perfect specs to suit Marilyn's disability. As for the slides - I've given four away. No big deal, cost me nothing, asked for nothing...hope they give the people I gave 'em to (two of whom have NEVER played slide guitar, but have expressed an interest when a friend of mine and myself have played slide in the pub) as much, or more, fun as I've got out of them.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've made a few copper pipe slides, but thought they were a bit on the scratchy side. Different textures are good for different things, though. Sometimes I prefer my sublimely smooth Diamond Ultimate lead crystal slide, but if I really want to get sustain from vibrato on the strings I've got to have a surface with a little more "bite." That's where a rougher surface comes in.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

Good initiative. I think the price of slides put people of trying it. I've yet to meet a guitarplayer here in my age to also play slide. Well, at least I have something special to play then which a lot of people havn't heard. I was looking for a slide here a couple of months back. I had to visit four different musicshops before I found a slide!!! And it was more like £20. It's ridicolous.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
(@minorkey)
Reputable Member

I picked up a glass slide from JG Windows in the town, about 15 quid, paid with birthday money. Great fun!

If I go blind guide me. If I go deaf shoot me
http://mymusictree.blogspot.co.uk

ReplyQuote