Okay, so a stranger comes up to you...

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

...sticks this in your hands

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-doubleneck-6-6-lap-steel-electric-guitar_W0QQitemZ260134345920QQihZ016QQcategoryZ2384QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem [/

And says you gotta keep it or else. He has a weapon or something - maybe a nasty grimace. :twisted:

Question is, what tunings would you use?

(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

I suppose I would have chosen E (E B E G# B E) and E6/13 (C#/D E G# B C# E), or the same tunings down a whole step to D depending on the scale length. The reason for having both necks at the same basic tuning is 1) I'm lazy, and 2) I'm easily confused...... :lol:

Congratulations with the new doubleneck! :D

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Oh I actually didn't get it - just today saw it on eBay (from that company with tons of double-necked everythings. It's obvious it's the same guys who made the Artisan laps that have flooded the market.

BUT...for me at least, it would be that A6 (like the CEGACE C6 tuning only tuned downward), and...I believe I'd actually have the other in (what I call) First Tuning (Standard).

Hmmmm....

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well if I see any approaching strangers carrying unwanted musical instruments, my policy henceforth shall be to snatch 'em quick and run away before they change their minds.

Unfortuntely, I know absolutely zero about lap steel tunings....but I'd probably put one neck in standard and one in open G. Or variants thereof, depending on tension. I just remembered a snippet of information from somewhere - I think it was Ricochet, possibly Smokindog, who told me the A6 tuning was so you'd have a major triad and a minor triad.

Must invest in a lap-steel one of these days....think I'll go and have a look at some prices, see if there's anything reasonable for under £100 (about $180.)

There seem to be a lot of frets on that there lap-steel - and is it my imagination, or are the fret markers in unusual places? (Compared to a guitar, that is....)

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I do seem to recall telling you that. Doesn't mean I actually know what to do with a lap steel tuned in A6, of course. And if some frightful hooligan did force something like that on me, first thing I'd do is ask Steinar what to do and follow his advice best I could. :lol:

(Isn't A6 a motorway in England?)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Motorways are prefixed with M - the M6 was the first motorway built, for some illogical reason. Passes by my house, about a 1/4 mile away. Roads prefixed with A are busy "main roads" like the A580 - Liverpool to Manchester, commonly known as the East Lancashire Road. That has traffic lights and junctions - Motorways have slip roads, other roads go under or over Motorways.

I suppose the equivalent would be;

UK Motorway, USA Freeway
UK A-road, USA Highway.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Rather like US 11, then, on the side of which I spent my early childhood (I don't know why nobody would ever stop!), and fairly near which I've always lived.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

if the stork brought me a double neck ?
one neck would have a 6th tuning. A or C for sure.

the other could be my default G.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote