Clear all

OPen G Tequila Sunrise?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Can Tequila Sunrise be played in Open G tuning? I know little about the different tunings but I can't seem to get this song to sound good in standard tuning. The chords are G, G6, a minor, D, e minor, D, b minor, B7, A7.

Anyone with any ideas?

(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

This won't really answer your question about Open G, but I just discovered a file I have kicking around here (a GuitarVision lesson) with a few other chords tossed in. It's got E, Em7, C, and C/G in addition to or instead of the ones you named.
I also discovered copies I made of posts by Wes Inman and JonnyT awhile back on here, about that song. Haven't found the original thread yet, but you can probably find it and see what they had to say. (Maybe in the "Easy Songs" department?)
FWIW, the sheet music shown for the Guitar Guru lesson of it has a G5 in there, too. Nothing about an alternate tuning, though. Have a look at http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mgt.asp?ppn=GT0026595 . Get that kinda pedal steel sound in there, too, and you're on your way. :wink:
Hope this helps. (And thanks for inspiring me to work on that song. )

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the link. i don't know why i can't get it to sound good. it's not that hard of a song.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Haven't tried that song, but the chords you mention are easy enough to do in Open G. Including with a slide, if you wear it on the ring finger and fret in front of and behind the slide. May not be voiced the same way the Eagles did it, though.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

This doesn't answer your question regarding playing in Open G, but here is the link to a thread on the "Easy Songs" forum of Tequila Sunrise:
http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=18202&highlight=tequila+sunrise
I played it through, and it sounded spot on. I'm sure if you wanted to transpose it to Open G you could. Might sound pretty nice too! :wink:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote