Clear all

Pedal Steel Guitar or Dobro?

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mogal)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey, my first question is, what is the difference between a pedal steel guitar and a dobro. I guess there are pedals involved with the steel guitar? Do they sound that different?
Secondly, on Steelers Wheel's Stuck in the Middle with You, does anyone know if that is a pedal steel guitar or just someone playing the slide on a regular guitar? If it is the slide guitar, does anyone have the slide parts tabbed out? I saw on Easy Songs the chords tabbed out, but I was looking for the slide riffs and instrumental. It may not be a slide guitar though - anyone know??
Thanks.
P.S. I asked about the dobro because we actually have a band member who can play the dobro, so I wondered if that was a possibility on this one.

MoGal

(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

Hey, my first question is, what is the difference between a pedal steel guitar and a dobro. I guess there are pedals involved with the steel guitar? Do they sound that different?

The only similarity is that both instruments are played holding a steelbar to the strings.
A pedal steel is an electric instrument, usually with 10-12 strings tuned to E9 or C6, and there are a number of pedals and knee levers involved raising or lowering the pitch of certain strings (which strings depends on the tuning and setup). Some will compare it to flying a helicopter.... :lol:
A dobro is an acoustic instrument, usually with 6 strings tuned to G-major, and most of the tone is produvced by a metal 'resonator' inside the guitar reflecting the sound of the strings.

The sound of these two instruments are as different as the playing techniques involved, but I've heard some pretty good pedal steel licks played on dobro. It doesn't sound like a pedal steel though, the tone is too different for that, parts played on a pedal steel will need to be rearranged for dobro and vice versa..

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@mogal)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the response to the first part of my question!

MoGal

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

dobros or resonators have a cone inside that amplifies the sound. a very distinctive instrument.
however, it cannot be played like a pedal steel. and there a vast differences between those instruments.
that said, the steel slide is the common denominator between the two.
so slide techniques can overlap.
with dobro it is hard to get the bent string sound (with a square neck resonator like mine).
what you hear in that song could be lap steel or pedal steel. I would have to find the song and listen. I've got a good ear for steel since I did play pedal steel.
PSG usually has a more complex voicing...meaning triad harmonies.
lap steel licks song more single note.
(generally speaking).

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

A six string lap steel is a very approachable instrument. Great fun!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

A six string lap steel is a very approachable instrument. Great fun!

absolutely. see my avatar pic?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It's small enough that I had to study it for a while with these old eyes to tell what it was. :D

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Nice, DB!

ReplyQuote