Clear all

pseudo b bending like albert lee

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@caevan-oeshcte)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Danny Gatton and Roy Buchanan were also masters of this type of playing.

I'm sure that there are a number of excellent instructional videos- and perhaps some DVD and/or CD-ROM packages, as well- I just don't know them off the top of my head. If I come up with any more info on that, I'll come back and post it for you, or shoot you a Private Message via this forum.

Those kinds of licks and phrases are built around what are called "oblique bends", where one string's pitch is bent while one or more others are held in place. It's the sound of one note bending up and/or down in relation to other stationary notes that gives it that tangy pedal-steel flavor.

In Standard tuning, typically, you would hold a double-stop on the 1st and 2nd strings at a given fret, and bend the 3rd-string (fretted one fret below the first two) up a whole or half step. That's not the only position or fingering that you could use, but it's a good place to start.

These kinds of oblique-bend techniques also work very well in various Open Tunings, as well.

:idea: There's a really cool lesson on these types of techniques in the recent August '05 issue of Guitar Player Magazine, on page 110: "Twang Guru", "Stealing from the Steelers", by Jim Campilongo and Jude Gold. It may also be included on the magazine's website by now.

I usually play these kinds of licks on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd strings, bending the 3rd-string beneath the top two higher notes, but here in this lesson they're played on strings 3, 4, and 5, bending the 3rd-string as the highest note in the group. Cool!

While you're there, also check out the "Lead Guitar 101: Bluesy Sliding Sixths" lesson by Andy Ellis on page 118. Go over the lesson, and then think up ways that you can apply it to slanting a slide to alternate minor and Major 6ths for cool and economic two-note chords that outline melodies... Even if you only play it fretted, it'll add to your vocabulary and musicality!

(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

Fret strings one and two at the same fret, having the root on the first string and the 5th on the second. Hit both and bend the 2nd string up a wholestep to a 6th and release it back to the 5th.
Another one is to fret as I mentioned above, but add the fret below on the 3rd string, then bend it up one whole step (this will make a bend from a 2nd up to a major 3rd) while leaving the two top strings as they are.

Both of these, and combining the two, can add a nice pedal steel 'twang' to your playing, and can also be performed on a lap steel by pulling the strings behind the bar.

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

Yeah, it takes a bit of practice, and with string gauges starting at .015 it hurts quite a bit too in the beginning...
Here's a photo of dobro master Jerry Douglas demonstrating how to do it:

Steinar

Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@caevan-oeshcte)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

"oblique-bend techniques: are double stops with one note bent?"

That's one example. Actually, any time you bend one note (up OR down) while holding one or more additional notes, it's called an oblique-bend. It just sounds more like a pedal-steel if you use three or more strings.
"What "interval" minor 2nd, major 2nd, minor 3 major 3?"

Really, any interval you want; but the most common would be to start with two strings-

-we'll go with the 3rd-string and 2nd-string at the 11th and 12th frets, respectively, in Standard Tuning-

-an interval of a 4th apart; fret the 2nd-string at the 12th-fret with your little-finger, and the 3rd-string at the 11th-fret with your ring-finger. (Let the remaining middle and index fingers fall behind on the 3rd-string, they may be helpful in supporting the bend.)

Then bend the 3rd-string up by a whole-step, keeping the 2nd-string steady. Now the interval between the two notes is a minor-3rd, but the two notes together sound like the Major-3rd and 5th of a Major chord, in this case E Major.
"What intervals to oblique bend to get that twangy pedal steel sound?"

Do the same moves as described above, but with your little-finger barring across the 1st and 2nd strings, holding a double-stop at the 12th-fret, and bend that 3rd-string up a whole-step and then back down. Sounds like a pedal-steel lick, Bsus4 resolving to E Maj, all country-bluesy-rootsy, don't it?

ReplyQuote
(@caevan-oeshcte)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

:idea: Remember, those lap-steel guys are using those fairly heavy bars to slide on the strings; their hefty mass probably helps to keep 'em steady while pulling strings, etc.

It's definitely easier to bend 'n' pull lighter-gauged strings, although heavier ones do lend themselves to slide... You have to find the right compromise for what YOU want!

Steinar- I didn't mean to rehash some of what you posted back there, when I started typing up my reply your's hadn't displayed here yet. You must have posted that while I was typing away... Guess that all comes of my being so long-winded, huh? :wink: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

Steinar- I didn't mean to rehash some of what you posted back there, when I started typing up my reply your's hadn't diplayed here yet.

Great minds thinks alike..... ;)

Steinar

Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Walters...Albert lee does use a B bender. he plays a Musicman with that.
truthfully, I dont think he needs it; he's an awesome player.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@caevan-oeshcte)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

"Walters...Albert lee does use a B bender. he plays a Musicman with that.
truthfully, I dont think he needs it; he's an awesome player."

Aaaaah.... I had either missed, or forgot that Albert Lee uses a 'bender equipped axe...

And I agree with you, he can get a LOT of miles out of a guitar without one!

Just which sort of 'bender does he have installed in that Music Man axe, dogbite? The Parsons/White strap-pull variety, or something like a Hipshot or the like?

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I think Albert Lee uses the strap pull kind. pretty sure. yup. definately.

I checked just now. yes he does.

he is one of my favorite players. when he replaced Burton in Emmy Lou's Hot band I was worried. then I was blown away.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote